Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Hypothetical question about 10 bourbons

Thank you for the insight.

To respond to the otehr question, I won't be writing the article alone, but I am doing a lot of the legwork to get a nice list of 10 bourobs to use in the sampling. Others with the bourbon knowledge will be writing the majority of the article.
    That should help. I hope they know their stuff. Bourbon is a very complex subject and the folks most likely to be interested in what you write are right here (and not an easy crowd to impress). We are fortunate to have a couple very knowledgable people here who manage to keep the rest of us on track, so to speak. The bottom line (for me) is everyone's experience with something like taste, is, ultimately, unique to them. It may or may not follow what your article describes to them.

Good luck!

Ken

Connoisseur

We'll try our best, unfortunately it's not some big great magazine. It's more a local magazine, but either way we want to write up a nice article. It's more of a showcase of top shelf bourbons rather than even a full length wordy article.

Connoisseur

I see. I'm sure it will be well received. Nice to see something going out to a wider (if smaller) audience. You are smart to use the expertice here to help with your "legwork". As I said earlier, several of the folks here are not just knowlegdable but also well respected in the field.

Post a link when it's published, I'd love to read it.

Ken

Connoisseur

I plan on tapping some of the resources here when we get closer to writing the article. Maybe even for some text if possible for those willing to help. Believe me, we want the article to sound and look good.

The artcile is designed to make readers of this magazine, say wow, I never even heard of a lot of these bourbons AND/OR I didn't know wild turkey had a bourbon that tastes that good!

Enthusiast

This is a lot easier, there just aren't that many single barrels out there.

Blantons
    Evan Williams SB
    Elmer T Lee
    Wild Turkey Heritage
    Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
    Rock Hill Farms
    Four Roses
    Wathens
    Elijah Craig 18
    Eagle Rare 10

...Goes under the same theory that most teacher's colleges work under (Tim, do you agree??). You don't need to know the subject matter, all you need is teaching skills...
    You're asking the wrong person, Ken. I have a 160 IQ (or, so they tell me) and a degree in English -- my education degree was my SECOND major, because my small, private liberal arts college would not allow one to graduate without a major in an academic discipline. A better question to me (veering WAAAYYY off topic!) would be how the heck did someone supposedly bright spend his life in careers that offer so little money or advancement?

Guru

The only other three I have or know of in addition to RedVette's list are:

Hancock's from BT
    Henry McKenna from HH
    and
    Benchmark SB (no longer produced).

Connoisseur

Just to keep it in the thread, Kentucky Spirit (Oh, I said that already)

You're asking the wrong person, Ken. I have a 160 IQ (or, so they tell me) and a degree in English --
    Don't get me wrong, Tim, I didn't expect you to represent this trend but I figured you'd have been exposed to it and have an opinion (whether concurring or dissenting)

A better question to me (veering WAAAYYY off topic!) would be how the heck did someone supposedly bright spend his life in careers that offer so little money or advancement?

Understood. When I was in high school I went through career analysis looking at what things paid and what I could probably handle (as far as getting AND paying for the schooling). Trying to maximize the area under the curve, so to speak. I ruled out the things that I perceived to be too hard/expensive (Doctor, Lawyer) and settled on something I'd expected to pay well but was much easier (Civil Engineering). Got my first job out of school staking oil rigs in the Gulf for big $$$. Moved from there to computer support then sales. Mostly pretty good money along the way. Never designed one highway or bridge.... Oh well.....

Ken

Enthusiast

I have never seen or tried any of them, but aren't the Black Maple Hills also single barrels?

Guru

Yes, Black Maple Hill's are single barrels.
    Joe