Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Bourbon Pork Tenderloin

1lb (or so) whole pork tenderloin
    1/2 cup bourbon (I use AAA)
    1/2 cup orange juice
    2 Tbs dark brown sugar
    Crushed red pepper to taste
    Salt to taste
    Fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Mix ingredients together in a large zip-lock bag, add tenderloin and marinate for about an hour. Remove tenderloin, reserving the marinade, and grill to desired doneness. Reduce remaining marinade in a saucepan over medium heat until you have a loose syrup consistancy. Cut tenderloin into medalions and top with reduction sauce.

I like this recipe a lot! It has distinctive bourbon character with a sweet/spicy tang. You can increase the amount of sauce as needed, just keep the proprtions of Bourbon and OJ equal. Try it and let me know what you think.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Re: Bourbon Pork Tenerloin

OK Jeff, I've got this marinating for dinner tonight! I'll have Jon give feedback!

Dawn

Administrator in exile

What did you think Dawn?

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I loved it!
    The sauce was too sweet for Jon, but he loved the grilled tenderloin. (Atleast he said I could make it again!)
    My girls of course turned up their nose before even trying the sauce when they found out it had bourbon in it! (just more for me!!!) It's unusual for either of my girls to take a second serving unless we're having steak.....and I think Anna had three!

Now, do you have a good recipee for bourbon chicken? I've tried several off the internet and haven't found one I like yet.

Dawn

Connoisseur

Re: Bourbon Pork Tenderloin

Jeff,

I put the recipe to test last Saturday night, my son and another invited guest were the tasters.

To say the least it was delicious! Between the three of us we cleaned up 1-1/2 pounds of BBQ pork tenderloin, a tossed green salad, grilled garlic bread and a bottle of nice Merlot....for desert, Ben and I had a glass of BMH 16yo.

I'm going to use this for an upcoming party next month where the theme/competition is to pair whiskey with a food dish...I intend to win!

Thanks, dog

Administrator in exile

Thanks Doug, glad you enjoyed it

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I made a modified version of this over the weekend and it came out great. I provide the modified recipe below, as the main modification is that I roasted it rather than grilling it.

Two whole pork tenderloins (1 to 1 pounds each)
    1 cup bourbon whiskey
    1 cup orange juice
    5 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    Crushed red pepper to taste
    Salt to taste
    Fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Mix ingredients (except the meat) together. Reserve one cup of the liquid for sauce and use the rest as marinade. Pierce the meat with a fork and marinate it for at least one hour. Longer is better.

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees and roast the meat, uncovered, for 1 hours. Baste occasionally with the reserved marinade.

In a saucepan, boil the reserved marinade until it is reduced by about half. Serve as a sauce.

Let the meat rest for at least ten minutes after removing it from the oven. Cut into slices to 1 thick.

One note: I didn't actually use bourbon. I used Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

I served the meat with a salad of baby spinach with hard boiled egg slices and a hot bacon vinegar dressing, and sliced boiled potatoes using the same dressing (i.e., hot German potato salad). The bacon was from Meacham's, in western Kentucky, which has a great smokey flavor.

The meal was a great success.

Guru

Chuck, are those fresh pork tenderloins or those things packed in the clear plastic bags with some kind of briny solution? I like both, I just want to know which. Thanks.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I used "those things packed in the clear plastic bags with some kind of briny solution," which are fresh (i.e., neither pre-cooked nor frozen), though I assume you're talking about butcher-case-just-cut-from-the-hog fresh, which these were not. The "briny solution" is used to keep the meat moist and tender, and seems like a good thing. Are there arguments to be made against it?

Guru

No, no problem, I said I enjoy both types. Sorry if my wording sounded negative, I did not intend it.

Nine times out of ten, the ones in the clear wrap are what I buy.

Tim