Currently in NYC and picked up a litre of Old Taylor. This has the fluted neck. It is the older bottling where the colour is dark yellow and the top portion of the front label is cut on either side stating 6 years old. The bottom of the bottle (stamped in the glass) has numbers I can't deciper, in the centre of the base is a 30 with a circle around it, at the edge of the base it says, "2089 614". On the label there is reference to Frankfort and Clermont.

Its cap is hard plastic, the rigid kind that came in in the 70's and 80's (today's are similar but the plastic is softer unless it was always the same but hardens with age).

Does anyone think it may have been bottled at Clermont (or Frankfort presumably) but made at the National Distiller's facility where Taylor was made before the sale?

I have a pint at home of indubitably 70's Old Taylor that Tim gave me and can't at the moment do a side by side but the litre seems very similar to it, i.e., mild, slightly fruity and smoky and well-balanced. I know the current Old Taylor (in the more modern, lighter-colored label which does not state 6 years old) and that one is quite different and in my opinion not nearly as good.

I'd like to think the litre is from 1987 or an earlier distillation, whether it is or isn't, it is very good and does not have the Beam-type profile. If it was made by Beam, maybe it was made when they were still following the Taylor recipe closely.

Can anyone shed light on this, Doug or maybe Tim for example?

Gary

P.S. This is a very drinkable bourbon despite being only 80 proof. Whoever approved it for release must have enjoyed drinking it neat because it has a very good balance for that purpose.