Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

\"Medallion\" Jack?

Saw a bottle of Jack Daniel 90 proof with a kind of metallic medallion in the center of the front label. Different shaped bottle from the usual and different from Single Barrel and Gentleman. Store owner told me this is released once a year around this time. Has anyone seen this? It went for about $40, this was in a store whose prices are higher than normal because it is in Times Square. I wonder if this was brought in to appeal to those who miss the old 90 proof (from way back), but again the ownder said it comes out every year.

Gary

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: \"Medallion\" Jack?

I believe that this is part of their "Gold Medal" series. I have the "1914" edition. I've never tried it, I just kinda put it over in my "collectible bottle" corner(w/ the Makers bottles). They seem to be just bottles to celebrate all of their wins from back in the day.

Connoisseur

OPEN IT!!! Seriously, $40.00 is about right. It's good stuff, higher proof than regular Jack and not as much of the charcoal flavor though.

Advanced Taster

I thought I would add my little comment about a bottle of 1954 JD...I have never really been a fan of bourbon(American whisky) but I too have bottles in the Gold Medal series of which I have purely for collecting then I had the fortunate opportunity to try the 54' and I must say...WOW This was exceptionaly smooth with a nose and flavours of cinnamon and vanilla. I didn't find this to be too strong on the charred flavour and the lingering after taste and mild spices on the tongue has made me a bit of a fan of JD now. I will have to try other JD bottles soon and compare...
    Cheers to all

That is VERY interesting. Altough many historical bottles are mentioned here and some tasted, I have never seen a report on a bottle of Jack Daniels from before the 1990's let alone from 1954.

Many here would be interested in your side by side of that bottle and a current Jack Daniels (of any proof but Single Barrel would be useful due to its 94 proof).

Today Jack is characterised by a licorice-like flavor with a light "shellac"-like overtone.

Was the '54 like that? Are the two Jacks 50 years apart recognisably the same or are they very different?

Many thanks for your further views.

Gary

Virtuoso

Is the "1954" (or other year statements) product refered to here from 1954, or is this a current reproduction of the style of bottle used in a particular year?

I had thought, like "throwback" sports jerseys of previous eras (1954 NY Giants "The Giants win the Pennant, The Giants win the Pennant", etc.) Brown-Forman was recreating a nostalgic look. And filling the bottle with higher proof, longer aged product and/or honey barrels.

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'm guessing he's talking about this:

"This special bottle is the sixth in the Gold Medal series and honors the 1954 Brussels, Belgium star of excellence"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, I think I see. However if this gentleman or anyone else really does have a Jack Daniels from, say the 1970's or earlier it would be interesting to do a comparison with a current bottle.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Re: \"Medallion\" Jack? - 1954 commomerative bottle

Hi guys, yes Tim that is the bottle that I am speaking in reference to. My apologies if I gave the impression that I was drinking a JD from <font color="blue">1954</font>.
    Troy @ Bar Items Plus

Enthusiast

Just as an FYI, the entire collector series commemorates the awards JD won in the past. The juice inside the bottles does not vary from the standard fair.

Ken