Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Some notable young whiskys

I don't think so. My understanding is the really good stuff is due to a reaction between the char zone in the wood and the flavor components of the grains, particularly the rye and the corn. Vodka would change, to be sure, and you may be right that the amount of change would reflect your particular circumstance but it would not yield aged whisky, let alone Bourbon (which is MY goal).

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I don't think so, as vodka is distilled to a higher proof to make it taste neutral. Whiskey still has many more compounds left in it that add flavor. These compounds seem to interact with the barrel over time.

Now if you could make identical mixes and ship them to different areas of the country...Hmm, one in the swamps of Louisiana, one in the deserts of Arizona, the great white north, California coast, and so on...that would test the area.

I think this is more to see what can be done, by making a blend and reintroducing the spirit to a barrel.

I think this is more supposed to be a fun exercise with a little science(Black Arts?) thrown in, than an imperical experiment.

Re: barrel programs...can I buy and age my own bar

Seems there is(was?) a whiskey that did something similar. They added Mesquite to either the barrel or to a vatting later. I remember having it, you could really taste the new flavor. I can't say it was a flavor I liked, but I also can't say that with some work, that it couldn't be made to be palatable.

Connoisseur

Seems there is(was?) a whiskey that did something similar. They added Mesquite to either the barrel or to a vatting later. I remember having it, you could really taste the new flavor. I can't say it was a flavor I liked, but I also can't say that with some work, that it couldn't be made to be palatable.
    Cool, Tim. If you recall what is was, post it. I'd love to give it a go.

Ken

Connoisseur

I think this is more supposed to be a fun exercise with a little science(Black Arts?) thrown in, than an imperical experiment.
    Gillmanizing II Return to the Wood

Seriously, someone could do the Woodford thing. Take a High Wheat and a High Rye and mix them. You'd have a non coppery 4 grain..... hmmmmm How about Maker's Mark and Old Overholt???

Ken

I looked it up.

There are two now, the one I had was McKendric Western Style, it has a leather label. The other one is McKendric Longhorn Creek.

Connoisseur

Thanks Tim, never heard them but they sound very interesting. Not sure Mesquite is the flavor profile I'm looking at (but I'll remain open until I eventually try it).

Ken

Guru

Not meaning to hijack the thread but I've seen both at local stores but the word "mesquite" on the label just didn't push any buttons for me. My first thought was "sales gimmick" when I saw it and was never really tempted to purchase it. When I think of mesquite, I think smoke. Maybe this was an Americanized attempt to bridge Bourbon and Scotch?

I had thought that someone could get some barrel char like BT sells and add it to a container and pour some young whiskey in to try to age it further but most of the best taste comes from the wood UNDER the char in the barrel so I think this would add char taste but not necessarily anything else.

Connoisseur

I see your point, Dane... Perhaps larger pieces could be "charred" to leave the wood inside intact?? The process would be the same.

Ken

Independent Stave sells "tank staves" that are essentially that. Used for wine aging, and normally only toasted, but I think that these would work if you could find a way to get that precise char level that barrel makers get, and get it on all four sides.

The problems with doing this way seem to be all of the effects discussed earlier that also affect the flavor profile; evaporation (and the differing rates between water and alcohol) and oxidation