Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: barrel programs...can I buy and age my own bar

Have you considered getting a doghouse and putting it in a nice sunny spot in the yard?

Connoisseur

Timothy, if you only knew my yard you would understand how funny that suggestion is. We're talking a 120' x 215' lot with 100+ trees, most over 150' tall. The lots South, East and West are identical. The sunniest place in the yard is out by the street, it gets maybe 4 hours a day. I can't even get grass to grow over most of it. Temperature was why I was thinking of the attic but I wouldn't want to go up there more than once or twice during the process.

Ken

Connoisseur

Well done, sounds like the porch maight work, or the garage. Remember there will be evaporation so you want to ensure good aeration and safety in general.

Let us know how it goes, sounds fascinating.

Gary
    Will do. Definately looking forward to it.

Thought occures about pests/bugs. Do rickhouses have any problems with this?? Or are bugs not drawn to Bourbon??

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Gary,

Since this project would involve lower-end, filtered whiskies, do you think this would be a good place to try your corn oil trick? I think that the filtration process could strip some of these remaining oils and readding them and letting them age might be benefitial.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

An attic would be an ideal location for aging. In Cognac, the oldest and most precious barrels are often stored in the attics of homes.

Another factor to consider in this experiment is the reduced proof of the spirit going back into the barrel. Alcohol is a better solvent than water, in terms of dissolving the wood goodies. For this reason, I recommend using the highest proof young whiskey available, likely a 100 proof BIB.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, I think I would not do this when barreling a whiskey. True, it has been filtered, but it seems too far a departure from tradition. I think it could be added (if at all) to some of the bottles when dumping is done. That way, if the effect is not liked it does not hurt the whole batch.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

VERY good point. There are some lower end BIB's available in jug format, I think, but even if not, it is best (once one is going to the trouble) to secure 100 proof whiskey, even if a couple of cases of fifths need to be bought.

Gary

Connoisseur

Doug,

great thoughts. I had the similar idea to take a sample at different times in the aging and these could be used to compare.

I think the "living process" idea is interesting..but might make it hard to recreate if you find an outstanding mix.

Starting off there is bound be be a big learning curve and documentation of the process will be key.

here are my current questions....

what is the typical loss (angels share)?

is a small barrel (1-5) gallons going to be big enough? once loss occurs will there be a reasonable amount left to bottle?

weight factor.....a 5 gallon barrel wieghs 30 lbs. I don't know exactly how much bourbon weighs but somewhere around 7 lbs/gallon as a rough estimate. thats 65 lbs total.

go to a 10 gallon and .......37 lbs barrel and 70 lbs booze and you have 107 lbs.

at some point these have to be stored (rick structure) and moved periodically.

Virtuoso

I agree that 100 proof would be the nice way to go for rebarreling. There are other issues that will come into play with small barrels that shouldn't be neglected.

My experience as a home winemaker has shown me that the small size of barrels being considered here, 1 to 5 gallons, gives so much oak contact that a virgin barrel can only hold wine for 2-3 weeks before the wine will become unpleasantly overoaked. The second batch of wine can sit in the barrel for 4-9 weeks, and the third batch will age in a way similar to a 55+/- gallon barrel, (6+ months). Wine is only 10-12% alcohol and extracts oakiness that quickly, so it seems unreasonable that the relatively minor difference between 40% and 50% alcohol could be a deal breaker.

The thing to keep in mind with the first 2 batches having to come out of the barrel so quickly is that there isn't time for the subtle interplay of oxygen in the barrel over time.

I don't know if bourbon will behave in a similar way to wine, but the trick seems to be finding ways to let the spirit stay in the barrel for as long as possible, not have it scour the barrel as quickly as possible. I need to talk with an acquaintance whose been doing rebarreling of bourbon in 5 gallon barrels for a while to find what his experience is.

I think probably the best reasons to go with 100 proof whiskey is that it is the closest strength to the traditional barrel proofs of great bourbons that I understand to be 110-115.

People laughed their asses off when I asked about rebarreling during the HH tour, but I think it's one of the few ways(other than Gillmanizing ) that enthusiasts can be participants, not just customers, in bourbon.

Roger - DIY - Hodges

Connoisseur

welcome to the newest frontier....microbourboning&#153

I agree, i think its a great way for us to get an even better understanding of bourbon.

People laughed their asses off when I asked about rebarreling during the HH tour, but I think it's one of the few ways(other than Gillmanizing ) that enthusiasts can be participants, not just customers, in bourbon.

Roger - DIY - Hodges