Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

BOTM, 11/05: Russell's Reserve 101

It was suggested to me by an esteemed member of our community that perhaps we should pay homage to a recently departed friend. I think it's the least we can do for a bourbon that has given so much to us. Therefore, this month's BOTM is:

Russell's Reserve 101 proof

Feel free to share stories and fond memories of your time with RR101. Russell's Reserve touched our lives in so many ways; it will indeed be missed

Sound Off
    Last edited by jeff; 05-01-2006 at 20:27.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM, 11/05: Russell\'s Reserve 101

Definately a favorite of mine. It displays many of the fine characteristics of it's more refined cousins, Kentucky Spirit and Tribute. It has a depth beyond the mainstream 101 which shows up in a more robust palate as well as a much longer finish. While all Wild Turkey products have a wonderful bite to them, Russel's Reserve keeps that at a enjoyable, not overpowering level.

The new 90 proof is delicious as well but is lighter and more fruit/floral notes rather than the oakyness of the 101.

It is a pity it is rapidly disappearing. Your are right Jeff, it will be missed.

Ken

Guru

I agree, Ken. When I posted my thoughts about RR101 a few years back, I said that I thought Rare Breed had a lot in common with WT101 while RR101 had a lot in common with KS. And I can still distinctly remember the tastes involved.

Alas, no RR101 has been seen in these parts for quite some time, now. KS either, for that matter. Alabama ABC seems to carry all the $100 scotch you can think of, but they have almost completely eliminated the premium bourbons.

Tim

Enthusiast

Prompted by this BOTM selection, Tina & I enjoyed a pour of RR 101 yesterday evening. I didn't tell Tina what it was before she tasted. Her blind response was "Wow, you must have poured one of the really good ones." It had a nutty/candy nose, an oaky/caramel mouth and those distinctive WT (earthy?) undertones. DELICIOUS!

The RB society sent out an email coupon for a $5 rebate on RR 90. If you're one of those generally averse to buying the 90, would $5 off prompt you to buy it? I suppose it does cover that extra water.

Connoisseur

Yeah, I'm torn between letting my stash go to those who truly love it and hoarding it for myself. Maybe a combination of both. I love the package and the whiskey much better than the 90. More heat, more spice, more punch.

My favorite memory of the RR101? Having dinner at Blue Smoke with Jimmy Russell after our Tribute bottle signing party and hearing someone tell tall tales of Jimmy's previous visits to NYC. Jimmy didn't mumble a word.

Taster

Since I have moved several hundred miles away from my friend that I did most of my tasting with, we have been relegated to discussing our preferences over the phone. Last summer one night I called him to tell him how wonderful I thought the RR101 was. It had just struck me as a perfect pour that night. He was surprised and asked if it were something new. I told him it was not, that I had actually poured it for him several years before but he had seemed unimpressed. Well apparently my enthusiasm wore off on him because a mere week later he was on the phone telling me how sorry he was to have missed out on such a fine bourbon for so long. Just his luck that it was being phased out so soon after his discovery. I hope he laid in stash while he had the chance. Now I always think twice before drinking it, savoring every drop for the day when there won't be anymore.

Advanced Taster

Well, this was a suggestion in my very first thread here, in which I asked for recommendations. I picked up a bottle this afternoon and am currently enjoying my first few sips. Initially, I'm very impressed. The nose is very nice and not overpowering of alcohol. Nice and smooth enough, which is not what I was expecting from the proof. I'm enjoying it very much thus far.

I'm new to bourbon, so I really can't expand anymore as I believe I've maxed out my cliche quota in this post.

By reading the posts, it seems this bourbon has been discontinued. I bought this bottle down the street for $26. Is it something that'd be worth getting that other bottle I left sitting there? I'd hate to learn later on that it was something I should have bought, if not just for the sake of all those people looking for a bottle and not able to get one.

...it seems this bourbon has been discontinued. I bought this bottle down the street for $26. Is it something that'd be worth getting that other bottle I left sitting there? I'd hate to learn later on that it was something I should have bought...
    You seem to be enjoying it -- thus, I think you've answered your own question.

Virtuoso

Is it something that'd be worth getting that other bottle I left sitting there?
    By all means! It's not too expensive, and you can always set a bottle or two aside for a special occasion. Once they're gone, they're gone.

I'm saving one such bottle at the moment, otherwise I'd be pouring from it.

Advanced Taster

RR 101 was a surprise to me. I have always enjoyed the Wild Turkey's I could get my hands on but did not notice the RR until last year. I bought at around Thanks giving and I used it as part of the Injection/marinade for my turkey. One thing I love about this bourboun is the perfect sweetness, woodyness and all around greatness of it. I am hoping that the 90 doe spay some Homage to what it used to be.

My dad doesn't generally like the pours of bourbon that I give him whe he visits, he would much rather drink vodka, but on Turkey day I forced him into a pour of the RR and he actually asked for some more...needless to say the bottle was done by the end of the day! The turkey wasn't the only one drunk that Thanksgiving