Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: BOTM, 11/05: Russell\'s Reserve 101

While not my favorite, I find myself very much in the mood for the WT RR 101 from time to time and enjoy it very much when I am in the mood for it. It is also still very available here in Albuquerque (at least for the time being anyway.) One store I went to today still had at least 10 bottles of the 101. I guess I should buy a couple to stash.

Apprentice

I bought a bottle of this earlier in the week for the first time. Now, I'm not a bourbon expert but I also don't consider myself a newbie either. I've had a few other 101-proof items before, including the WT Rye 101.

Anyhoo, I poured a small dram as I cooked dinner on the grill after work. I took my first taste and I felt like steam was coming out of my ears. It was probably the most intense alcohol burn that I've ever experienced! I was yellin' and hollerin' for all the neighboorhood to hear.

I know that our perception of a drink can change from day to day, hour to hour. . .but this was unique. I might have guessed that I was drinking something MUCH stronger than 101 proof if I din't know it was RR.

I'll be having another tonight. . .hopefully it will be a less painful experience

Advanced Taster

That's interesting, I've found this bourbon to be pretty smooth. I'm sure there's a lot to be said for the place, time, and mood. I was sitting down with a snifter and only took my first sip after a good nosing and preperation.

Advanced Taster

I had a couple of pours at a hotel bar in Denver a few weeks back. They also had Rare Breed. I liked the RR 101 a lot, although I am not a huge WT drinker. But I did go out and get a new bottle of the 90. Forgive me of heresy, but this is by memory, I sort of liked the 90 ever so slightly better. Now before anyone accuses me of not liking higher proofs or seeing their merits, I love OGD 114, GTS 138, and the Van Winkle 107's. To me though, both WT's had licorice overtones I'm not to terribly fond of; fortunately it was a very slight hint. Now to be fair, I will pick up a bottle of the 101 (there are a few liquor stores around here with it still on the shelf)to do a side by side. My memory ain't what it used to be, if I remember correctly.

Prominent cinnamon/Red Hots nose, with a touch of underlying anise. A similar palate entry, drying to a charry finish tinged with orange peel, medium in length.
    I like this one well enough, but it begins better than it ends. It's well-suited for a brisk winter evening when your breath is the first thing you see when you step outdoors.
    I've already put back a few bottles, and will a few more. But after sales tax here it was often past $30 even before replacement, which is pretty close to its break-even point cost/value-wise.

Well, I decided I really do enjoy this bourbon enough to do some hoarding, so I picked up 4 bottles of the 101 before it goes away.

Taster

Noticed i had three dead bottles. Lucky me i found supply . it is a must keep to have on hand to compare with others. as to others saying to much punch power, it will make the dead dance.

Enthusiast

I'm relatively new to this, and have more bottles of different pours than I can consume for a while, and this is the one bourbon I've bunkered. Of course, not much has been pulled from the market in the last couple of years, but I've let ER 10 yr. and some annual releases go without worry. In fact, since there's still a good supply of RR 101 around here, I've picked up a few for gifts. I have seen the 90 start to show up, but I will probably not buy it (or maybe any WT product), as a protest to the watering down.

One thing I've noticed about RR is that I can enjoy it the way I want to; it seems everything is there. If I want to experience the buttery aspects, there they are; if I want spicy, that's nicely covered too.

Bob

Connoisseur

I have seen the 90 start to show up, but I will probably not buy it (or maybe any WT product), as a protest to the watering down.
    Bob, I understand this sentiment. Beware, the 90 is quite good. Protest if you must. I feel like I want to also but I just see myself as the loser in that battle. Of course you can always switch to KS for the 101 and enjoy RR90 the rest of the time.

Ken

Advanced Taster

Bob, I understand this sentiment. Beware, the 90 is quite good. Protest if you must. I feel like I want to also but I just see myself as the loser in that battle. Of course you can always switch to KS for the 101 and enjoy RR90 the rest of the time.

Ken
    Good advice, Ken. As I stated in my earlier post, I may like the 90 ever so slightly more. Whatever the reasons, and many here believe it to be greed, WT made a marketing decision. Although I am not the biggest WT fan, I drink as much as I can.... (wait, that didn't come out right)I EXPLORE as many different bourbons to expand my palate. So, I doubt politics would keep me away. As Ken said, more or less, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. But that doesn't make your love for WTRR 101 any less.