Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM, 11/05: Russell\'s Reserve 101

I asked Jimmy Russell about this at NYC Whiskey Fest and he did confirm it was a marketing decision. I agree the 90 is good stuff so I guess it's not the worst thing that could have happened.

Disciple

I go round and round with the Wild Turkey line. I love them all, but one day WT RB is my favorite and another day it is Wt RR 101. Still another day and the WT 101 8 year old has recaptured my allegiance. And I can't forget the 12 year old. Some days it burns and tastes harsh (at home, never at the bar for some reason) other days and it is ambrosia. The other day I had a pour of WT 12 year old from a porcelain decanter. Mmm!

Of my collection at home I think that the WT RR 101 is ahead by a nose. They are all so good though. WT!
    Ed

Taster

Went to the bunker tonight and pulled out a RR101...one of many that are in the bunker. And...it didn't disappoint me. One of my favorite bourbons. I wonder what Jimmy will drink now when he is out on the town. RR101 seemed to be his choice at the bar after Whiskey Fest in Chicago.

Jeff, thanks for the BOTM thread. I'm enjoying everyone's comments and revisting some bourbons that I've not tried in a while.

Jon

Novice

Re: BOTM, 11/05: Russell\'s Reserve 101- found some

FYI - For anyone who lives near Louisville, KY - Evergreen Liquors had about 5 on the shelf as of an hour ago. I bought one that I plan to keep unopened. I didn't have the cash to buy up all of the stock.

Jimmy

Advanced Taster

Its been a while since I had a bottle of RR101 but I seem to remember not being bowled over. Rare Breed is one of my all time favorites, I think it has a more substantial, full bodied flavor with a more satisfing finish.

After hearing from all the fans here I will have to look and see if there is any left up here in the frozen north, gotta have something to keep the moral up here through the winter!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I cleaned off the shelf in my local liquor store in LA a couple weeks ago hoping that they would still have more 101 in the warehouse, damn if the 90 didn't show up on the shelf.

Connoisseur

gotta have something to keep the moral up here through the winter!
    Kentucky Spirit also does a nice job of that. We set an all time record for snowfall last winter so I put that to the test.

Ken (in Cleveland - we get 3 sunny days per Winter, whether we need them or not!)

Guru

I cleaned off the shelf in my local liquor store in LA a couple weeks ago hoping that they would still have more 101 in the warehouse, damn if the 90 didn't show up on the shelf.
    Well, there you go.

At least, you have possession of the 101's.

Tim

Guru

I also prefer Rare Breed, but RR 101 was a solid value at about $6 less, per bottle (in these parts). It was a very nice, full proof, 10-year old Wild Turkey at a reasonable price. What more could you want?

Tim

Advanced Taster

Well last night I opened my new bottle of WTRR 101. Compared to the 90, the only difference I see is a tad more bite to the 101. Neither are my favorite pours; however, I do enjoy the Kentucky Spirit. With that said, I personally won't miss the 101. I like the smoothness of the 90 a little better; again, I truly appreciate the big bourbons like PVW 15yr and OGD 114. But maybe (purely speculation on my part) the folks at WT are wanting to focus more on their RB and KS. And by making the RR 90 proof, they distinguish their line up.