Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM, 11/05: Russell\'s Reserve 101- found some

I'm in the San Francisco bay area right now. The local Bevmo has 6 or so bottles of the 101 on the shelf. I enjoy the RR101. I'm glad I have one unopened bottle. But I don't think I'll stock up. I have too many other bourbons I want to try.

Virtuoso

Brennan,
    There're still plenty of RR 101 available in ones, twos, and half dozens in the area. You don't need them, but do you need any Stagg from the last 3 bottlings? If so, there're still a couple bottles of each at Ledger's on University Ave in Berkeley.

Sorry, I would put this Stagg stuff in a new thread, but it's such a one-liner that would seem gratuitous.

Roger

Disciple

Hi Tim,
    As I have said before, I go back and forth on which is better, the RB or the RR 101. However, the RB is the cheaper of the two here. I think... They aren't far apart at any rate.
    Ed

Guru

Yes, I figured it would be different in different places. When both were available, here, RB was $32 and RR was $26.

Tim

Disciple

Re: BOTM, 11/05: Russell\'s Reserve 101

i think Wild Turkeys decision to turn Russells Reserve into a 90 proofer is a joke. It is purely for money reasons. In Ohio, when the 90 proof started to arrive on shelfs, the state raised the price per bottle 4.00+. I would rather have the 101 and cut it back to 90 if I choose.

Thomas

Advanced Taster

Over on Proof Changes, Chuck Cowdery gives a good theory on the proof change, and in this case, it may not be money. I too believe it's marketing and mass appeal. But, at the end of the day, I think (it's only an opinion) the 90 may be a tad better. But since the 101 is it this month, I am partaking. By the way, just picked up abottle of OGD 114 (I am really getting attached to that, much better to me than WTRR 101 and a whole $2.00 less!) and based on a review elsewhere here, Weller Antique 107, which I've never tried. Chaz

Advanced Taster

AMEN.

Disciple

Any word on what we will be drinking together in December?
    Ed

Advanced Taster

Brennan,
    There're still plenty of RR 101 available in ones, twos, and half dozens in the area. You don't need them, but do you need any Stagg from the last 3 bottlings? If so, there're still a couple bottles of each at Ledger's on University Ave in Berkeley.

Sorry, I would put this Stagg stuff in a new thread, but it's such a one-liner that would seem gratuitous.

Roger
    I've not tried Stagg but I hear it's something. My wife has been talking about a trip out that way to some chocolate factory or something, so I may just have to look this place up.

On to Russell's Reserve 101, after further review informed by a few other bourbon tastings, I'm finding it to be quite bold and hot. That's not necessarily bad, but it opens up to what it can be with a bit of water. My uncle tried this one with me and didn't really enjoy it.