Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Novice

High end Bourbon that\'s not worth the price

I'm new to the board and am building my collection of premium bourbons. However, I need some advice on what to avoid.

So far, my only disappointment was McKenna Single Barrel. I'm also not yet convinced that the Jefferson's Reserve was worth the extra money.

Thanks for your help.
    Scott

Novice

Re: High end Bourbon that\'s not worth the price

Try Elijah Craig 12 yr. I think of it as the entry way to high end bourbons, but it is really one of the best.

Jimmy

Enthusiast

Many would agree that Old Whiskey River is worth leaving on the shelf.

Apprentice

I can recommend Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year and Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year with confidence. I think the ER10 is an extremely good buy at around $20.

As far as bourbons to avoid - I really haven't bought any I don't think were worth the money. I tried Gentleman Jack at a friend's and would never buy it with my own money. I don't know that it is considered a "high end" bourbon though. Another I would never buy is Basil Hayden since most comments I've read about it have been negative.

Apprentice

musher, this is off topic but I gotta say I love the picture of the Husky in your avatar. My sister has a female husky - I've never seen another dog with such personality.

That is a Husky and not a Malamute correct?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Welcome to SB.com. I'm sure you'll find it a great source of info, no matter what your particular interests in the wonderful world of bourbon may be.

I'm not sure where you're located but surely there's a good bourbon bar not too far away, even if it would require a weekend trip, it's a good way to try several different whiskies without commiting to the whole bottle.

I'm not too sure many on this board are going to say that any one whiskey is crap, as just because one doesn't like it doesn't mean another won't. There does seem to be a concensus that the new Woodford Reserve Four Grain might not be quite worth the money being asked for it, but as I haven't had the (dis?)pleasure yet I will withhold my judgement until I have.

As you come to find your particular tastes in bourbon, you can use these boards to research makers/bottlings to find more that fall into similar flavor profiles. Many of the whiskies you like will likely have a lower priced counterpart with a similar structure, allowing you to avoid the disappointment of overspending.

Best of luck in your whiskey travels

Disciple

Twenty Bucks for Eagle Rare SB 10 yo? That would be a good deal. It is more like 35 bucks here in Sapporo. My loss.
    Ed

Apprentice

Twenty Bucks for Eagle Rare SB 10 yo? That would be a good deal. It is more like 35 bucks here in Sapporo. My loss.
    Ed
    Wow that's unfortunate. After having it, I would be willing to pay $35 for it b/c I like it so much, but I'm glad I can find it cheaper.

When it's on sale in Montgomery County Maryland liquor stores it's $16.99 - an unbelievable price. Otherwise it ranges around $20-22 where I buy it, but that is still a steal.

Advanced Taster

Hey Scott, I'd recommend you try the Weller Antique 107 proof. It's a fine bourbon and sells, at least in my area, for under $20.00. Tom V

Guru

Avoid the new Woodford Reserve Four Grain.... IMHO, it's not ready for consumption at this stage ---- certainly not worth the $79 / bottle