Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: High end Bourbon that\'s not worth the price

High end Bourbon that's not worth the price
    Almost any Bourbon where they buy bulk whiskey from HH, then pour it into a posh bottle, add wordings like small batch and sell it for twice the price (buy HH:s own products, instead).

Also, there was a con job called McKendricks which may or may not still be around. Steer clear!

Enthusiast

I'm not a terribly huge fan of Booker's, to tell the honest truth. At over $50 / bottle, it's not one that I can see myself purchasing regularly. As others have said, Old Whiskey River costs far more than it's worth.

In general, most bourbons are a good value, especially compared with other types of spirits; Elijah Craig 12 yr and Jim Beam black label are two that I think are especially good values (of course, distribution is limited up here in my little corner of the frozen Northeast, so I'm sure there are many others).

Advanced Taster

This is really a subjective, well subject. But Jeff's Reserve is a great $15.00 bourbon. Unfortunately, it's $40.

Disciple

As Chaz7 says this is all terribly subjective, so here are my two subjective cents on Booker's. Well worth the price. Since I have tried it I always have a bottle around the place and it is usually open. The Jim Beam Black that I first bought nearly a year ago is still half full. Nothing wrong with it but it doesn't do much for me, bland. Nor it is a particularly good value here in Sapporo at around 20 bucks.

BTW, Scott, but what premium bourbons have you tried that you feel are worth the money?

Ed

Novice

I really enjoy Stagg, Pappy 15 yr., 1792 (a great value), Elijah Craig 18, Bookers, Four Roses, and just recently tried (and liked) the Evan Williams single barrel 1995.

So I am finding no shortage of quality.

I just added Michter's Straight Rye, Weller Centennial, and Hirsch 16yr. (which I'll try tonight).

I am mixed on Baker's and Blanton's.

I travel a bit and come across a nice variety, but before I sink $50+ in a bottle of Michter's 10-year Rye, Hancock, etc. or less in a few others I see around like Bulleit, I.W. Harper, etc. I'd like to hear the opinions of truly afficianados.

Thanks for your advice.

Enthusiast

That is a Husky and not a Malamute correct?
    Yes. More in "Off Topic" . . .

Disciple

Thanks. As for the ones you are considering, I like Bulleit. I have only had one bottle of it. I bought it on vacation in the States and brought it back with me. I have another bottle still unopened. I have never seen it here in Sapporo. The I.W. Harper Gold Medal I see all the time. It is very well priced at around 16 bucks. I believe it is more expensive in other markets. I find it a bit bland. Others on the list really like it. I would like to try the 12 yo but it is fairly pricey so I haven't gotten around to it.

One favorite of mine that I don't see on your list is the Elmer T Lee Single Barrel. It is quite a sweet bourbon and I don't know if you like that. Hmm. From your list of likes, maybe you do. The bottle I have open now is one of the spiciest (cinnamon) bourbons I have ever had.

Novice

I agree completely that price is no determinant in how good of a bourbon you end up with. The best examples of quality bourbons that don't pinch the wallet too hard (in my opinion) are Elijah Craig 12yr, Corner Creek, Bulleit and all the real low cost end Old Grandad. On the other hand, the high end Jim Beam stuff like Baker's, Bookers, Basil Haydens never impressed me at least not for the price. (By the way, they sell minis of those so you can try them without making a big investment.) I haven't tried the new Woodford 4 grain, but judging from the related posts, it's a prime example of not worth the price.

Jimmy

Advanced Taster

Value is a major consideration in my bourbon buying and drinking. The following are those that I consider well worth the asking price.
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Elmer T Lee
    Buffalo Trace
    W L Weller 12 Yr
    Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve
    G T Stagg
    Eagle Rare 17
    Eagle Rare Single Barrel
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B
    Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 yr
    Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel
    Old Grand Dad 114
    Maker's Mark
    Old Forester 100 proof
    Old Ezra (7) Rare Old
    Their not all "cheap" , but I don't mind paying for these.

Connoisseur

Not a fan of Ridgemont reserve 1792 myself and I don't think Basil Hayden's is worth the asking price either. YMMV.