Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: High end Bourbon that\'s not worth the price

I'll agree with others that Basil Hayden is not worth the price, although I do like it, certainly far more than any other 80 proof bourbon I can think of. Although I don't usually spend the money for Booker's or Blanton's or Elijah Craig, that's just my decision about allocating my bourbon dollar; I can understand how others think it is worth the price.

I would encourage you to sample the Bulleit you mentioned; a very distinctive taste. There are lots of others in the same price range that could give you a nice experience of something different; Old Charter 12, Old Grandad 114, etc. Casting that sort of wide net can introduce you to lots of favorites.

Bob

Enthusiast

I'm new to the board and am building my collection of premium bourbons. However, I need some advice on what to avoid.

So far, my only disappointment was McKenna Single Barrel. I'm also not yet convinced that the Jefferson's Reserve was worth the extra money.
    With the strong caveat once again that this is all subjective - eg, we like Henry McKenna SB! -

1) We agree w/ avoiding Old Whiskey River;

2) The price of Jefferson's Reserve just dropped in VA - we like it better at $32 than $50, but not sure if you will;

3) Hancock's is good whiskey at a rotten price - easily worth $25-30, but not $50+. See if you can find a deal.

4) At the risk of heresy, after OneCubeOnly gave us our first sample of Pappy 20, can't see dropping $75+ on it. Don't get us wrong, it's GOOD, but the only whiskies we have found that we have been willing to pay super-super premium prices for (say $60+) are WT 12 year and Tribute.

Advanced Taster

Basil Hayden's, JD Single Barrel - not worth $40, Baker's - good but not @ $40, Ridgemont Reserve 1792 - good but too spendy, and IMHO, anything by Maker's Mark.

I think Booker's is worth the $53 because other than Stagg, where else can you get a bourbon over 125 Proof?

Enthusiast

1) We agree w/ avoiding Old Whiskey River
    Not so fast. There is the little matter of a free Willie Nelson CD! Right! Hello? Yeah, I guess we should avoid it.

Advanced Taster

I honestly haven't found Blanton's to be quite worth the $50 price. I do enjoy a glass of Blanton's, but find its less famous sibling Rock Hill Farms to be more enjoyable.

I'm not all that enamored with Booker's, although again - it's good, but I'd rather spend my $50 on something else.

Stagg, Sazerac, VW Rye, and Pappy 20 are bottles I will happily spend $50+ to bring home. I reserve judgment on the new Antique WL Weller and Eagle Rare 17bottlings, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if those joined my top-shelf ranks, too.

Taster

Woodford Reserve is one to avoid. also, anything thats 80 proof. that goes for the cheap stuff too.

Novice

I'm new to the board too, but with soo many EXCELLENT bourbons for under $25, I have a long way to go before I have to go over that price to sample something new. I might be missing out on the best of the best, but I'm not complaining. Yet.

Guru

It is all in the eyes, or in this case the mouths of the beholder. As all of these posts illustrate what most fine bourbon drinkers already know. We taste them all when we can find and afford them. We all have our favorites and values to be found depending on our locale and budget. We are all fortunate.

Advanced Taster

When it's on sale in Montgomery County Maryland liquor stores it's $16.99 - an unbelievable price. Otherwise it ranges around $20-22 where I buy it, but that is still a steal.
    I second that! I discovered the sales in Montgomery County a couple of months ago by luck. I can't believe the prices there. I picked up a couple of bottles of ER10 at $16.99. I think that's a deal and a half. Same for ET Lee at $17 and Weller 12yo at $15. The only problem is that it's a bit of a drive for me and I don't get out there too often.

Jay

Novice

I am somewhat new to the board as well. I am a huge fan of Knob Creek. The cost here in the Dallas area is $26-$28 a bottle. I love the strong finish. I thought that Woodford Reserve was good on the nose and pallate(sp) but lacked the type of finish I enjoy. Eagle Rare was...okay. Booker's was good enough to try a second bottle.

Good luck on the adventure!

Any one have commetns on Bullit(sp)?

roughouse