Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    Yes, ETL is honey barrels with a sweet taste profile, Blanton's is other honey barrels with a drier profile. Both are from Buffalo Trace distillery and from the same mashbill, but I'm not sure if its the same mashbill as the Buffalo Trace brand bourbon. BT (the distillery) has two mashbills. The other mashbill goes to Stagg, Eagle Rare, etc.

Confusing enough?

Tim
    Not confusing at all but surprising to me. I'm surprised that ETL and Blanton's is the same mashbill. I find them to taste quite different. What a difference that barrel must make.

Enthusiast
    I echo your surprise Brian!

Thanks for those snippets Tim, very interesting...

Guru

Cool

You're welcome. There was an interview of Elmer Lee himself on the internet a few years ago. He stated that Blanton's came first and he was given a taste profile for it and he chose the barrels for it. But, he found other barrels that he, personally, preferred because they were sweeter. They decided to market that profile, as well, and it became Elmer T. Lee.

Its possible that that interview could still be found floating around in cyber-space.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer
    You're welcome. There was an interview of Elmer Lee himself on the internet a few years ago. He stated that Blanton's came first and he was given a taste profile for it and he chose the barrels for it. But, he found other barrels that he, personally, preferred because they were sweeter. They decided to market that profile, as well, and it became Elmer T. Lee.

Its possible that that interview could still be found floating around in cyber-space.

Tim
    Wow Tim, I never knew that. It still surprises me that they are the same animal. I may have to do a "side by side" tasting this weekend. Bacause I have both.

Enthusiast
    Hey Brian and Tim!

I know for a fact that there is an interview/profile of Elmer T Lee on the BT website. My broadband is not playing too well so I can't check it out. Maybe this is when he said it?

I'll check it out at a later date...

Connoisseur
    Just for good measure I'm sampling a little ETL Single barrel 90 proof. Very good, got it on an order from HiTime Wines.