Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Jim Beam Black Label

A subject in which we are all interested: good bourbon fairly priced. A new listing in Ontario qualifies, Jim Beam Black Label. Actually it's been available here before, off and on.

This is 8 years old and has a good deep bourbon flavor. It's similar in a way to Knob Creek and the other bourbons in the Beam range, but with its own stamp. Sometimes it seems somewhat fruity in taste to me. This current bottle less so, but still is well-balanced, good earthy bourbon. A luxury drink by any international standard, at a fair price.

Gary

Taster

Re: Jim Beam Black Label

For my recent vacation trip to China, I decided that I should pack in my own bottle of bourbon because I knew the pickings there would be thin. I was right.

Anyway, I chose Jim Beam Black Label. The bottle is shaped well for traveling, it's not cheap rotgut (nor fine sipping whiskey), it's got a screwtop, and it was only $13.99 for a 750!

Turned out to be a nice traveling whiskey. I didn't always have access to fresh spring/bottled water (I filtered my own hotel tap water), and ice can be touch-and-go. Sipped straight, it was pretty buttery and smooth for 14 bucks. Not harsh by any means, but the flavor is also a little underwhelming (as compared to the ORVW 10 y.o./107 proof I had the night before leaving the US ).

Personally, I believe that it would a good introductory bourbon for some people. They surely won't be offended, and they could never complain that it's too strong/harsh/bourbony/whatever. And when purchased on sale, it's definitely worth the money.

However, I don't think I'll be buying another bottle in the near future. There are too many cheaper alternatives and too many superior brands in the same price range. But it will be nice to revisit it one day...

Taster

I like the stuff. back in 85 going to J.S.U. it was available at Ft. Mc.'s commisary. the good stuff was cheap so i could afford to slurge. it was 90 proof back then. now a keep a bottle on hand to taste Jim Beam product. i like Jacob's Well by them as well but its a hard find in Alabama.

Guru

Everything is hard to find in Alabama.

Tim

Enthusiast

Beam Black is a regular pour at my house. Good product, good price. It is also the only Bourbon they serve on United Airlines, which is good because it replaces Beam White.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've always liked Jim Beam Black. It's essentially Booker's at a lower proof (and a much lower price). It's also more evidence that the people at Jim Beam know what they're doing. The product has been in their portfolio for years, but they're doing a terrific job of making it work for them in the current environment.

Disciple

I have to say that I like Booker's better at Booker's proof. However, I had a little pour of Jim Beam Black last night after reading Gary's post here and I really enjoyed it, more than I expected. There is not much left in the bottle now so maybe some evening soon I will finish it off. I find that when I have several pours of the same whiskey it kind of grows on me. Most nights I drink several different bourbons and that is fun, too.
    Ed

Guru

I have had one drink of it, at a hotel bar (The Plaza) in New York City. It was delicious!

Tim

Jim Beam Black is one of the few bourbons I always have in the house (for casual opening, I mean), whether or not it is currently open.
    I also generally find it darkly fruity, but not always. And, like others, I prefer the older 90-proof versions, but that's not to say I don't enjoy the current rendition. Definitely the premium bottling that says "Jim Beam" on the label.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well put, Tim. Many of the bottles I've sampled from are "darkly fruity", exactly. Some aren't but are still good. The ones that lack fruit resemble quite closely a Booker's at 86 proof as Chuck C. said, or a Knob Creek. The fruity ones tend to show additional accents. Either way, a fine drink of whiskey, at a fair price.

Gary