Mike V.,

Your quote is interesting.

Actually E H Taylor, Jr. actually recommends aging in you attic and to take the bung out for a week, then replace the bung and roll the barrel 360 degrees every day for a week, and then repeat these steps until it reaches the flavor profile you wish.

As I am going to undertake a re-barreling project, I have decided to use the attic area in my home to store the barrel(s).

Reading this, with the idea that it may or may not be useful to me, brings up some questions.

First, does any distillery use the same process as described above for aging their whiskies? (It is conceivable that a row of barrels in a ric could facilitate the process, but still a laborious effort to a certain extent)

Second, does the process accelerate the benefits of aging?

Does this “shortcut” reduce the potential for the best results? Or, does the extra time spent in management lend to better results than regular long term aging?

With the bung being removed, wouldn't there be quicker/direct exchange with the environment than that which would be realized in the regular process of exchange through the barrel walls over longer time periods?

If any or all of this is true, how would it play with the use of a new barrel (3 gallon to 5 gallon size) during or after the "break in" period(s)?

....your thoughts Mike...

Actually, anyone's thoughts...Roger, Gary G., Chuck, Ken, or any others who have re-barreled with success.

This post could be moved over to a different area, but I'll leave that up to the administrators.

Thanks dougdog