Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What if you could buy only one???

So there have been several discussions of favorites and long lists of these produced. A recent post turned that around and asked which high priced bourbons are not worth their asking price. I found that question interesting but most of the answers were to the affirmative eg - things that ARE worth their asking price.

But it brought up yet one more iteration.... If you could choose only one Bourbon (for a year, for 10 years, for life.....) Which would it be?? The Bourbon would cost what it does now but it would be available to you where you live in the quantity you require.

No restrictions other than you can only afford how much you can afford. You choose your criteria, flavor profile, cost, whatever. You may want: Lots of a cheaper pour. Less of a more expensive offering. Almost none of something very exotic. Lots of something exotic (and you're taking out a second mortgage )

Now I realize this is not the bent of most people on this forum. Most of us enjoy a wide range of offerings and have pours for certain weather, certain moods, certain food etc. etc. But if you could only have one! (and no trading with folks who choose something else )

I choose Kentucky Spirit. Altough not cheap, I can pretty much afford the amount I wish to drink daily and it is very nearly the prefect Bourbon, to me. Well balanced, rich and sophisticated with a great kick, complex patale and killer finish. I'm good!

Ken

Enthusiast

Re: What if you could buy only one???

Obviously I would choose Elmer T. Lee.

Side note: I've realized recently that what I truly like about Elmer is the heavier amount of rye in it. Now I've tried Wild Turkey 101 recently and it tastes similar. If I remember correctly, somebody said Wild Turkey has more rye than most? If that's the case, I may have to try Kentucky Spirit, or Rare Breed or Russel's Reserve.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I don't know what bourbon I'd choose - I just enjoy too many of them to pick.
    Non-Bourbon is easy - Old Rip Van Winkle 13yo Rye

I'm going to have to second your nomination of Kentucky Spirit.

And, I wouldn't even get bored with it if I could also have one Scotch and one rum.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Elmer T. Lee, the closest to a perfect bourbon I know. I might have said, Rock Hill Farms, but it isn't as consistent as ETL.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

This is a nice litle thought provoking idea.

I normally drink as a house pour Charter 12, as its low price allows for the purchasing of more expensive whiskies that I couldn't drink everyday, but if I could only have one for the rest of my life, I wouldn't have to worry about spreading the money around. I don't quite think the budget would stretch to allow me to drink $40 bottles on a regular basis, but I can see$30-32 happening.

One bourbon that I love barely squeeks into that at $32 and change: Rare Breed.

I think I can live with that.

Enthusiast

I might have said, Rock Hill Farms, but it isn't as consistent as ETL.

It is also two to three times the price.

I do not have the confidence in my ability to pick a bourbon today that I will still prefer a year from now. My preferences have changed dramatically over the past year, I see no reason to assume that they are now permanent.

Advanced Taster

I guess I'd hafta go with WT RB.

Guru

Right now, I would choose Elmer T. Lee. It has everything I enjoy in a fine bourbon and at a reasonable price.

Tim

Taster

Expensive yes...but I'd have to say Pappy 20.

Jon