Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What if you could buy only one???

I could make a long list of bourbons that I could be happy with, day in day out, year after year. Choosing one from that list would be painful. I'll keep thinking about it, but after reading this thread, I found myself pacing back and forth, waving my hands, and talking out loud.

Ed
    Ed, I gotta tell you, the vision of you pacing around over this has had me smiling all morning. Great image! Thanks!

Ken

Advanced Taster

Count me in with the Elmer T Lee crowd. I've really come to like this over the past couple of months. If I had to pick a second choice, it would be some form of Eagle Rare.

Jay

I guess this question really puts one on the spot. A lot of terrific options, but I have to go with Evan Williams Single Barrel 1994. This is my favorite of the EWSB family and is also at the top of my list of favorite bourbons. To me, it goes well on a hot day, a cold day, when I'm happy, and when things go to crap. I love it's range.

JOE
    This would be my choice as well, and I could not have put it any better. There are certain bourbons that are great on a winter day and there are certain bourbons that are great on a summer day. This one just seems to be great all the time.

Unfortunately, I have about two pours of the 1994 left. This will definitely be savored.

Enthusiast

Elmer T. Lee. ( , I know. But it's so good.)

Guru

Well I guess if price be a consideration it would be Elmer T. Lee, if not, then any Van Winkle (most probably ORVW 15-107 except you can't buy it anymore)
    Joe

Guru

I see a lot of votes for Elmer T Lee here. I hope for all your sanity that you'd find the newer foil wrapped bottles rather than the old wax entombed ones. I envision a castaway on a desert island that finds a case of ETL washed up on the shore with the wax closure trying in frustration to open it with a coconut.

Enthusiast

Guess we would have to go with AAA assuming we remained in VA. It's delicious and cheap - $12/liter.

Connoisseur

I am relatively new to bourbons, but here is my answer...

I think I am overthinking the question, but if I had to only drink one bourbon for the rest of my life I think I would want it to be a higher end bourbon rather than a bargain bourbon. So, I guess my answer is PVW 20. I know that the pricing sucks as compared to the ETL or others, but I would want to go out knowing I went out with one of the best! No regrets!

I tried the Elmer T Lee and the OF Birthday bourbon at the philly whiskey festival and I actually preferred the OF Birthday bourbon. Don't get me wrong, for what we pay for ETL, it's damn good.

Advanced Taster

I reserve Stagg as my favorite pour, but it's not something I drink everyday. I have a bottle of ETL that is unopened (but won't be for long after reading all of these posts!). Until I check that out, I would probably take Weller 12 as a personal favorite.

I agree with Camduncan though -- I would happily drink VW Rye the rest of my life, but this thread isn't about rye.

Connoisseur

I am relatively new to bourbons, but here is my answer...

I think I am overthinking the question, but if I had to only drink one bourbon for the rest of my life I think I would want it to be a higher end bourbon rather than a bargain bourbon. So, I guess my answer is PVW 20. I know that the pricing sucks as compared to the ETL or others, but I would want to go out knowing I went out with one of the best! No regrets!

I tried the Elmer T Lee and the OF Birthday bourbon at the philly whiskey festival and I actually preferred the OF Birthday bourbon. Don't get me wrong, for what we pay for ETL, it's damn good.
    You're not overthinking this at all. And that is exactly what I was looking for. What is important, to you, assuming you couldn't go high end one day and cost conscious the next. What is you most driving desire (okay, with Bourbon!). Is cost YOUR deciding factor? Or taste? Or age, oak, smoothness?? Where would you balance these?? Pappy 20 is a fine choice if you can afford as much as you want to drink (or, to turn that around, if you'd be happy only drinking the amount you could afford!). For me, I wanted something I could have 5-8 oz a day and not file for food stamps.

Angleshare - you don't have to stay in Virginia (though you certainly CAN). One of the criteria was you would have ample availability, but you'd have to pay whatever that Bourbon costs. If you can afford it, you can have it. But only one choice! So if you want to change from AAA feel free (but not compelled) to do so.

Thanks everyone for playing by the rules. This one is hard if you really think it through. Lots of votes for ETL. Many for WT in one iteration or another. I figured Tim to go for a Weller, though I wasn't sure which one.

Ken