Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Advanced Taster

Re: What if you could buy only one???

Only one huh, ok, I gotta go with Old Rip 10yr 107. Love what's in the bottle, the price ain't too crazy, and, I love look'n at the bottle too. Tom V

Guru

If I can only buy one it would be so very tough.

But....

Eagle Rare 10 y/o SB

Question? Can I have an occaisional sip of everyone else's?

Connoisseur

Question? Can I have an occaisional sip of everyone else's?
    Sorry, with all the wonderful folks around here this would quickly become scenario abuse Suddenly there would be "gazebos" springing up all over the county functioning weekly (if not daily). It was defined this away in the premise to avoid having to call the scenario police! Nice try though.

Ken

Disciple

Hi OneCube,
    I see what you mean. One of the reasons that I like Blanton's is for the nutmeg/cinnamon note. The Blanton's that I enjoyed the most were the ones with the strongest cookie spice note. The bottle of ETL that I am working on now has that note in spades. It is a little one dimensional that way, which is fine with me, I like that dimension.

Elijah Craig 12 was one of the first bourbons that I had after coming back to whiskey about a year ago. I had the same problem with the Evan Williams line for the same reason as you did. The notes I was looking for were there in the EW, but subdued.
    Ed

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

The original scenerio does specificaly say bourbon though, leaving a wide open gap for drinking all of the Rye, Corn, Irish, Canadian, Scotch, Wheat and Japanese whisk(e)y you could handle. I was counting on this loophole to save me I might be able to limit it to one of each, but no way I can go down to one whisk(e)y for the rest of my life.

Connoisseur

The original scenerio does specificaly say bourbon though, leaving a wide open gap for drinking all of the Rye, Corn, Irish, Canadian, Scotch, Wheat and Japanese whisk(e)y you could handle. I was counting on this loophole to save me I might be able to limit it to one of each, but no way I can go down to one whisk(e)y for the rest of my life.
    Oh exactly. I fully expect to still have a WT Rye, a Forty Creek Canadian and a Lagavulin Scotch for non Bourbon nights. I find I have the most variety with Bourbon making it a much more difficult selection process.

Ken

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I can see Van Winkle 13yo rye, Lot 40 Candian, Highland Park 18, Platte Valley Corn, Bernhiem Wheat(only one, so far, haven't had it but the chioce is there), Connemara Irish, and for relaxing times I'll make it Suntory time.

If I really want to cheat Old Potrero counts twice according to the government's rules, once as malt whiskey(the younger) and once as rye malt whiskey(the older), of course at this point we also start running into blends and grain whiskies and non-straights, but that starts getting ridiculous to track.

Talk about finding a loophole and running a freight train through it.

If I had to pick just one..........it would be WT RB.

Of coarse having at least one Irish and one Scotch would help me through it. In that case give me Black Bush and Highland Park.

Jim

Thought about this one for a while:

If money and availability were not considered it would definately be: PVW 20 (as good or better than Blanton's but not in a gaywad bottle)

If reality (money and availability) were considered it would be: WTRB