Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbrad25
    You're probably right, it wasn't exactly a controlled tasting and my palate was all over the place.
    On the sunday we were sat in temple bar and had 11 pints of guinness and 11 measures of whisky (from a selection of over 200) and the most memorable thing about the Bunnahabhain was the taste of dark chocolate (probably enhanced by the chocolatey notes in Irish guinness), removing that and comparing it with the subsequent whiskey may be subject to a little error. I'd agree that the Connemarra was pretty unique and I'll definatley be on the look out for more, though range in Irish whisky has only just become common here since the troubles so I may have to wait awhile.
    Luckily I had the Midleton VR first.

Hi Paul

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in Ireland. The Temple Bar has about the best selection of whisky to be had on the island.

I don't think the troubles would really have had an effect on what whiskeys were available in Britain, as there just wasn't a large range of whiskey produced here. The popularity of Irish whiskey is growing very fast now, so they're putting a larger variety on the selves. And then there's the emergence of the Cooley distillery.

Anyway, hopefully truely great whiskeys like the Redbreast 15 and a few others will be more widely available worldwide to give everyone a real taste of what Irish whiskey has to offer.

Connoisseur
    Haven't had Irish whiskey for years...and I do mean YEARS. This winter I decided to pick up a few bottles.

Had heard good things about Red Breast and I was not disappointed. I generally cannot find too great of deals around here, but the Red Breast was unexpectedly lower than I thought. Got it for $35 a bottle, which I thought was an exceptional value after tasting it!

I also picked up a bottle of Midleton very rare, but as of yet have not cracked the bottle. This was not the exceptional value the Redbreast was...lol. Of course I may have a different opionion after I actually try it!

Regards,

Mark

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska
    Haven't had Irish whiskey for years...and I do mean YEARS. This winter I decided to pick up a few bottles.

Had heard good things about Red Breast and I was not disappointed. I generally cannot find too great of deals around here, but the Red Breast was unexpectedly lower than I thought. Got it for $35 a bottle, which I thought was an exceptional value after tasting it!

I also picked up a bottle of Midleton very rare, but as of yet have not cracked the bottle. This was not the exceptional value the Redbreast was...lol. Of course I may have a different opionion after I actually try it!

Regards,

Mark
    I'm jealous,

If I'd have seen the price first it might have put me off, luckily I tried it before I found out how much the measure cost me, finding it on sale the next day, i would have bought it still if i had enough money on me. Theres a more expensive one also, a vintage, I'll have to save my pocket money for the next trip.

Advanced Taster
    There's a Midleton 20th anniversary, celebrating 20 years of Midleton Very Rare, that's 2,000 euro. Madness.

The first Midleton Very Rare, the 1994, can sell for up to 1,000 euro. It can be occasionally be picked up on eBay for much cheaper,though.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the clarification, I've just found a supplier for midleton's in the U.K. as well; Arthur Rackham Emporium, about 120 but I think I'd prefer to go back to Dublin to get my own, just for the craic.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    I am about half way through my current visit to Ireland. I've liked the Red Breast 12yo for a long time so picked up two bottles of the 15yo. Its a real WOW of an irish whiskey. More flavor across the middle and the finish lasts forever. Much better than the Middleton's and about $40 less. The store manager believes it won't ever see wide distribution.....his shop in Dublin and a few merchants in France and Germany was his guess. Anyway, I second the notion that this is great stuff.

Randy

Advanced Taster
    I know Ally from the whiskey shop. I hope you didn't pay the tax (since you're from outside the EU). I got the impression that this whiskey is not going to be continued, but they weren't 100% sure.

If you like your whiskies, I would recommend you go to the Temple Bar, in Temple Bar. It's got probably the largest selection of whisk(e)y for sale in Ireland.

Another good place to go, if you happen to be at that end of the country, is this place in Co. Clare - http://www.irishwhiskeybar.com/location.html .

Hope you have a good trip.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Or Mitchell and Sons in Dublin, the last retailer to offer its own pure pot still (Green Spot. I heard too they sell a special 12 year old version although I think Green Spot is best not too aged).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-18-2006 at 14:55.

Advanced Taster
    Yes, the two new Green Spot special editions were produced to celebrate the shop's 200th anniversary. It's a lovely shop and very close to the Celtic Whiskey Shop - one street down.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    Our last two nights will be near Doolin.....just a short drive from O'Loclainns. We'll definitely give it a try and report back. Thanks.

Currently enjoying some Powers 12yo....its good too.

Randy