Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur
    BTW, I'm doing a taste test of Jameson Gold and Jameson 18 (third edition). I think I like the Gold better. The Gold has a sweeter (maple syrup?) nose and it seems that the 18 has a small trace of an off note in the nose and taste, could it be the sherry?

That being said they both are very smooth and pleasant with a good bit of Pot Still flavor. If I had my choice I'd bring back the Gold but the 18 is a fine whiskey.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur
    I was able to pick up a bottle of the Powers Gold Label Irish Whiskey today. I found it a very nice pour...even more so being half the price of the Redbreast 12 I picked up. It had a very distinctive nose that I just could not put my finger on. It almost reminded me of Juicy Fruit gum...I know that's nuts, but that's what it brought to mind. I enjoyed the flavor. I found the Redbreast to be deeper gold in color, slightly less fruity to nose, and a deeper in flavor.
    Very happy with both bottles though I still enjoy the Bourbon flavor more.
    Todd

Connoisseur
    I started out with Irish, moved to Scotch, and now I'm into American Straight Whiskies. Where I still prefer Irish for my shot whiskey I must say I like Scotch and American better. There is plenty of good Irish out there but I don't think it holds up to the other two.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Advanced Taster
    I started with scotch and moved the other way, toward Irish especially. Unfortunately, there isn't enough variety in Irish, as it all comes from just three distilleries. That said, pure pot still Irish is the greatest whisk(e)y of them all, but that's just my opinion. It's also very hard to beat an Irish blend with a high pot still content.

Connoisseur
    I have three bottles of Irish Whisky; Redbreast 12, Black Bush and Powers Gold Label. I do notice differences in the bottles, but for me they are subtle. It is probably that my taste buds are not sensitive enough.

I have found in Bourbon's a greater flavor difference in the flavor profiles. I realize that's probably because I have more Bourbon, but was wondering?

Should I be noticing a greater difference in these three bottles?

For my next bottle, here in WA. I have a few choices. Connemara Peated Single Malt, Knappogue Castle 1994, Tyrconnel Single Malt, Jameson 12 or Tullamore Dew. We have Bushmills Single Malt 16 but that's a little out of my price range for the time being. Can someone offer a recommendation for my next bottle? Will I find that Irish Whisky's are just more similar than Bourbons?

I had some Jameson at a bar but I do not recall which bottle it had, and I honestly can't recall how it's flavor compared to the three I now have.
    Todd

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by T47
    I have three bottles of Irish Whisky; Redbreast 12, Black Bush and Powers Gold Label. I do notice differences in the bottles, but for me they are subtle. It is probably that my taste buds are not sensitive enough.

I have found in Bourbon's a greater flavor difference in the flavor profiles. I realize that's probably because I have more Bourbon, but was wondering?

Should I be noticing a greater difference in these three bottles?
    I think you should. Admittedly, it was some time since I had a shot of Black Bush but it should be very different from the other two.

Redbreast and Powers, althoug sharing some similar traits, I also find to be quite apart. The sherry influence is much more obvious in RB while Power´s, at least to these tastebuds, is much more, er, powerful.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Advanced Taster
    They say Powers is distillate driven, in that it's the proportion of malted and unmalted barley and the cut from the stills that gives it its character. They use older wood to mature it. It is spicier than the Jameson and the Redbreast.

Blackbush should be a lot different, although I still find it has some pot still character, even though they don't use unmalted barley in the mash. It's a straight blend between two whiskeys - 20 percent grain and 80 malt.

Connoisseur
    I sat down with a neighbor and we did a little tasting of Black Bush, Redbreast 12, Powers Gold Label and Tullamore Dew.
    Being absolute novices at tasting the first thing we did was pick which bottle we most wanted to drink from...our first impression and a nod to the hard working marketing folks. Turns out we both picked Black Bush. Nice tall squared off bottle that fits well in the hand.
    After my wife poured them into glasses for us, we gave them a good look. We both ended up picking Redbreast, finding the dark golden color very appealing.
    The nose: I ended up liking the Powers, my buddy the Black Bush. I found the Powers sweet and fruity. My buddy enjoyed the spice/woody smell of the Redbreast.
    Taste: We both ended up with the Redbreast. Peppery, smoky.
    Finish: We both ended up with the Redbreast here as well. The flavor really stayed on the tongue well.
    So it is Redbreast 12 in our little Irish Whiskey show down. Though we enjoyed all the pours.
    I can find less similarity when I tried them this way as my memory led me to believe.
    I will save our note pads, and maybe in a month we can revisit and see if we can match our notes with the bottles...if we pick up the same smells and flavors.
    So now I have a decision to make. If they have the Rock Hill Farms Bourbon in stock thats my next bottle. If not...can you Irish fans recommend either the Connemara Peated Single Malt the Knappogue Castle 1994, or the Jameson 12.
    Thanks.
    Todd

Advanced Taster
    Knappogue Castle is ok, but not great, in my opinion.

I think Jameson 12 is super, and usually good value. I love it.

Connemara is good too, if you like peated single malts. The Cask Strength is better, I think.

Connoisseur
    I am not sure about peated single malts...I have been a beer drinker most of my life and have discovered a taste for Bourbon a relatively short time ago. Now Irish Whiskey has jumped into the picture as well. My experience is quite limited. But it sounds like that might be the bottle to try if I was trying to expand my "flavor" experience.
    Thanks for the info.
    Todd