Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by T47
    .... If not...can you Irish fans recommend either the Connemara Peated Single Malt the Knappogue Castle 1994, or the Jameson 12.
    Thanks.
    They're all completely different:

KC 1994 had a typical Bushmills nose and taste, but is cleaner and fresher than the 10yo or 16yo. If you don't like Bushmills avoid this.

Connemara tastes exactly like a peated Scotch, which is not too surprising as it is made exactly the same way. Lovely whiskey, but if you don't like peat forget it.

Jameson 12yo is a wonderfully complex blend, with a strong poststill influence. If you like Redbreast you should like this too. It is the only one, which 'tastes uniquely Irish' - as it contains potstill.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Connoisseur
    Thanks for the info. My only "Peat" expierience is with McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey. I tried it early on, just after discovering my enjoyment of Bourbon. I did not enjoy the smell or the flavor much. One of my friends said it is like a "peaty scotch". I think I will stay away from that one for now, thanks for the info.
    Last edited by T47; 08-30-2006 at 11:57.
    Todd

Enthusiast
    Not had the pleasure of McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey. I've heard it is a little young and feinty. I'd think the Connemara is a lot cleaner and with respect to McCarthy's, probably better made (there I go judging a whiskey I've not sampled !)

If you're tempted by Connemara, try some Ardbeg, Lagavulin or Laphroaig in a bar. If you can cope with them, the Connemara will be easy. Ardbeg is probably closest (not that close though), but much peatier.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Connoisseur
    If you do not like the smell of McCarthy's at all then you most likely will not like Connemara or peated SMS.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur

Irish Whiskey in England Duty Free?

I have a buddy who is going to England in a few weeks. There is a chance he will have room in a bag to bring home a bottle of something for me, and I was thinking maybe there is a good Irish Whiskey that I can't find here in the States? Anyone know what the Duty Free might have as he is leaving?
    Todd

Advanced Taster
    I think Jameson Gold is usually available at the Duty Free. There's a big World of Whisky in one of the London airports, so they should have a good range.

Connoisseur
    The Shannon Duty Free had a good selection of Irish. I would recommend Jameson Gold or Bushmills 1608 (I didn't see this in Shannon). They also had some Bushmills "Select Cask".
    Tim

Connoisseur
    Ok, one last question. Is the Jameson Gold not available in the US? And if I ask him to look for this bottle how much $$ am I talking if you know?
    Thanks guys. I figure as long as the offer is out there, I should try and take advantage of it!
    Todd

Advanced Taster
    It was originally made for the duty free market, so it's not supposed to be available elsewhere. I think it will cost about 40 euro, which would be about $47.

Connoisseur
    Jameson Gold was available in the US for a very short time. I know where there is a bottle for $75 if you want it.

PM me if you want me to pick it up.
    Tim