Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re: Any fans of Irish whiskey?

I don't know if it's a find or not but I'd like to try some and decide for myself. This has been an interesting topic. Very educational for me.
    Shawn

Connoisseur

Tim, you asked:

Is Knappogue Castle a find?
    I wouldn't go posting pictures of it unless it was a 1991 nestled in with the Bourbon finds, my Scotch teacher had mentioned on several occasions that 1991 was the best year. While on my personal hunting trips, I have found very few.

I have not done a vertical tasting of all the "current five" in a row, but I have tasted the 90 and one of the 92's. (Not sure which one it was)

I think the first release was a bottling of a 1951 distillation and it gets high marks from tasters, (I've not tasted that one)

The 5 more recent releases started with malt that was distilled in 1990, then a release of 1991, then two versions of 1992, (one bottled in 1999 and one bottled in 2000), then the 93 and this years release the 1994.

This Thursday night, (1-5-6) I plan on opening the 91 and I have a back-up 94 to compare with if we want to do a "side by side".

I was going to take a picture of my set, but have misplaced the 93 somewhere...oh well it will be the missing tooth.

BTW, I included a picture of an older bottle of Powers , gold label that I found...looks more black to me...I digress...It is tax stamped, 750ml, guessing early 80's bottling...If a guy wanted to taste Power's for the first time would this one be good or are there better ones to start with?

dougdog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

My general Irish tasting background so far has been pretty much Bushmills products, the other being Knappogue Castle, Have I missed it or is there not much posted here regarding KC?
    A quick search shows that not much has been posted.

I have had tastes from a couple of vintages, but they were at the private BYO whisk(e)y tasting that I host in my hotel room on the first night of the American Homebrewers Association's National Hombrew Conference each June. (BTW, I gave a talk this past June with another guy on Scotch single malts vs. bourbon.)

While it is a private tasting by invitation, the invitations are liberally issued. There are usually 30 or more people (it's really crowded and hot, and gets noisy enough to sometimes bring the hotel security to ask us to pipe down) and a couple dozen bottles. The Gazebo sounds much more civilized, with more savvy participants.

When I inherited it a few years back, it was strictly a single malt occasion, but I opened it up with Redbreast the first year (along with another one of my favorites, Jim Beam Rye, just to open some eyes). I have also brought Lammerlaw malt from New Zealand, and this last year, Four Roses SB, which turned out to be absolutely extrodinary. Wish I could get more of that barrel.

So what I am saying is that after you open that stash in the photo on your other post, you will have more experience than I have. I don't remember that they stood out as extraordinary, only very nice examples of unblended Irish whiskey.

Of course, I don't remember all that much from these evenings, come to think of it. I think that in a better setting such as you will have, they might show quite nicely. I look forward to your report.

As for the older Powers, I suggest that you get a new bottling to compare it to. Considering brockagh's note that Jim Murray says it's back to form, I'd suggest making sure it is a recent bottle.

BTW, Murray was the consultant for the recent Knappogue Castle bottlings and chose the barrels to be included. I don't think the castle has anything to do directly with the whiskey. We drove into the parking lot of it in '99 and admired it, but gave the tour a pass. I think the admission price was too high or something.

Jeff

Advanced Taster

I also have all the Knappogues, although I don't have the two versions of the 1992, only one. Some are from Cooley, some are from Bushmills, and, as you mentioned, there's some from Tullamore. There were a few of these vintages made, but they are all from 1951 now. There were 1948s given to friends. The Tullamores are pure pot stills aged about 36 yrs and are superb - these are as good as almost any Irish whiskeys you will taste. Some of this stock was also bottled by Cadenhead and there's a new one called Willy Napier.

All the other Knappogues are quite good, but not outstanding, in my opinion. Jim Murray marks them very high, needless to say, and I suspect this is because of his involvement with the brand.

Castle brands also produce the Clontarf range, which is well received, but not to my taste. I think they're all charcoal filtered and have a strong vanilla flavour.

The Powers pictured above is an old one, probably from the 1980s. It is so far removed from the current Powers that you would probably find little in common apart from the honey. It probably contains some of the old style heavier pot still whiskey from the John's Lane Distillery.

Anyway, I found it so strange that I was not sure at first, but now I love the old bottles, much more than the modern production (I'm drinking some of the old stuff now).

By the way, if anyone comes across more of the Knappogue Castle 1990, I'd love to buy some.

Regards

John

Interesting differences in the colors by the way Dougdog.

Advanced Taster

Anyone interested in collecting rare pure pot still Irish whiskey might be interested in this Old Irish Gold Dublin Whiskey

Connoisseur

I've had two different Knappogues and have been relatively unimpressed. I've had the 1992 (I think) that I bought about 4 or 5 years ago and now I have the current 1994. For some reason it just doesn't grab me.

Is it just me?

Anyone interested in collecting rare pure pot still Irish whiskey might be interested in this Old Irish Gold Dublin Whiskey
    Interesting - but I wouldn't want to spend over a hundred dollars unless I was absolutely sure that the taste was worth it. I guess it might be a good pick for a quasi-investor/collector.

Advanced Taster

I think it's a very nice whiskey and unlike anything available today. However, I have a friend who is also a pure pot still fan who does not like the Old Irish Gold I gave him to sample. So nothing is guarenteed when it comes to taste.

If you have ever tasted the old pot still whiskeys from Bow Street or John's Lane and liked them, you'd like this.

Advanced Taster

PS - The bottle will include a separate sample for anyone who does not want to open it.