Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

All this Bourbon that I can\'t drink

Ok, maybe can't is the wrong word, but I don't drink it for different reasons.

Reason #1; Out of production, my last unopened bottle. RR101, ER10, WT Freedom, ORVW15/107, If I drink it it will be gone, forever.

Reason #2; Out of production, opened. Once it is gone, I will have one less bottle in my collection, somehow diminishing it's coolness.

Reason #3: I paid how much for that? The Pappy's, the Distillers Masterpiece. That must be saved for "special" times.

Reason #4; One bottle left and it isn't good enough to replace. EW 1783, Old Charter Bonded, Makers Mark, If I drink them my collection will be smaller.

Reason #5; Still in production but real hard to get; Blantons barrel strength, Buffalo Trace, WT Heritage. I may not get another Blantons for a long time, so I better not drink it.

Reason #6 Yuckkk. Beam White, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam Small Batch.

That means that most nights it is OGD BIB, Beam Black, EC 12, ETL, EWSB (current edition), Wellers 12, or Corner Creek. A nice mix, but only a fraction of what is in the bar.

Advanced Taster

Re: All this Bourbon that I can\'t drink

This is funny and so true. I've felt some of this creeping into my head, too. I fight it. It's dumb. If I'm not drinking it, what's the point? I find myself hoarding it anyway. At some point the greedy desire to simply *have* the stuff encroaches on the joy of drinking and sharing it. That's what I struggle against.

My solution has been, like many others on this forum, to buy multiple bottles to reduce the I'm-running-out-of-that-one fear factor.

Guru

I agree 100%. Enjoying it is the point. But, I am not a collector.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I agree, though my reasons for saving things are a little different. I have no doubt that my collection will one day be gone, as I intend to drink them all before I die.

My main reasons for holding onto bottles:

Working on a "vertical" Sazerac, EWSB (90-95)-These will at some point all be opened as a group(Wedding, college graduation, etc.)

Out of production and waiting for it to be long gone from the shelves(If I find some I grab it). I figure it will be nice to drink some extinct bottlings (much like opening up the pre-pro bottles that are sold at auction). Something about drinking stuff that is one of damn few...

Waiting for other bottlings to compare it to. Sometimes you just have a bottle that doesn't sem to fit into a tasting and you need to push it aside until such time as you have enough odd-balls to try as a group.

Now as I intend to drink it all, I need to figure out which one will be the last one left...but that will take much longer to decide...

Disciple

If a doctor told me that I had six months to live and I tried to drink up all my whiskey before time ran out it would probably kill me long before the six months were up.

My heirs are likely to have to deal with a whole lot of bourbon. Not because I will have been hording it, denying myself the pleasure of drinking it, but because I won't have had time to drink all that I buy.
    Ed

Connoisseur

I intend to drink them all before I die.
    Me too, but figuring out that timing may take some work.

I expect to always acquire something I don't drink right away. When I get a shot at something I expect to be good, I buy two. I drink one fairly soon, to see if I indeed feel the way I expected to about it. If I do, I sock the other one away. If I don't, the second one often goes into a daily pour status until it's gone (or if I REALLY don't like it, it moves to the back row until I remember to try it again, funny, sometimes that time seems to improve it! Or maybe it's just me.)

Consumption oportunities always seem to present themselve on their own, but I seem to find new things to try pretty regularly. This way (like many here) my aquisitions are exceeding my consumption. It's a great place to be. I really thing this would be a harder process for me if Kentucky Spirit became to costly or not available. It gives me lots of flexibility (Like many here think about ETL, I would guess).

I honestly never worry about things being the last ever available, just about having something nice for occasions I want to celebrate.

Ken

I laughed at reason number 6. All the reasons are true, but that one made me laugh.

Virtuoso

Awwwwww...

It's always a good idea to have some bang-for-the-buck pours on hand - it'll make the special stuff last longer.

Still, it's easy to get carried away - my ORVW 15/107 only lasted about a month or so.

Guru

Rob,
    You've simply got to put everything in perspective. You have bottles of bourbon that many people will never have had in the future. Even after they are gone you will still have the memories. They won't. Enjoy it now. And always remember that you never really buy beer and spirits, you just rent it...

Connoisseur

Reason #1; Out of production, my last unopened bottle. RR101, ER10, WT Freedom, ORVW15/107, If I drink it it will be gone, forever.
    This is my biggest deterrent to drinking much of my stash. Not so much that I'm into collecting, but it's nice to know that particular bottle is there to go back to for resampling.

Reason #2; Out of production, opened. Once it is gone, I will have one less bottle in my collection, somehow diminishing it's coolness.
    Not a motivation for me, but again I'm not a collector. To me an open bottle is the same as a closed one, it's just shelf space.

Reason #3: I paid how much for that? The Pappy's, the Distillers Masterpiece. That must be saved for "special" times.
    This hits home for me too! Although the big-ticket items also seem to have the hard-or-impossible-to-replace factor to them (your Reason #5).

Reason #4; One bottle left and it isn't good enough to replace. EW 1783, Old Charter Bonded, Makers Mark, If I drink them my collection will be smaller.
    I'm exactly the opposite. If it's a dud, drown it in ginger ale and thin out the herd. That bottle goes in the recycle bin ASAP.

Reason #5; Still in production but real hard to get; Blantons barrel strength, Buffalo Trace, WT Heritage. I may not get another Blantons for a long time, so I better not drink it.
    Hard to replace but I love it? These are the ones that take all my storage space.

Reason #6 Yuckkk. Beam White, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam Small Batch.
    Drown 'em in ginger ale. I just plain don't have the collector's mindset.

That means that most nights it is OGD BIB, Beam Black, EC 12, ETL, EWSB (current edition), Wellers 12, or Corner Creek. A nice mix, but only a fraction of what is in the bar.
    Like others have said, nothing wrong with good standby easy-to-get bargain bourbons. Sometimes it's great to have a faithful friend that you don't have to concentrate on.