Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandy

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Brandy

I have been to a couple of DISCUS events where there is a very generously stocked open bar. Being the ink-stained wretch that I am, I usually look for the best thing there, without prejudice as to type. Frequently it is Martell Cordon Bleu, which I also used to drink for free when Brown-Forman had the U.S. distribution and they were a client of mine (this was many years ago). I can say that I have a lot of experience with the product and have never paid for a drop of it, which makes it taste twice as good.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I've never had the Cordon Bleu but would like to try it. Nicholas Faith writes in his Cognac history that Martell seeks a relatively neutral palate, drier and not as fruity as some of the other marques. The cut they take is accordingly narrow (again, relatively).

Gary

Novice

Re: cognacs

Brillet VSOP is a great cognac compared to most other VSOP's! Shouldn't be too pricey either

Advanced Taster

Picked up a rather unique brandy this last week in California made by Bonny Doon Vineyards called Calvadoon. While I am by no means a wine expert, it is my understanding that these guys are are somewhat famous (infamous?) in the wine world for their wild artistic labels and their early adoption of screw caps. (Their wines taste pretty good to me as well.)

In any case, after trying out some of their wine, I was intrigued by a listing on their roster of a premium brandy. It is a mix of 86% apple brandy with 14% pear brandy aged for 13 years. I was further taken aback when I saw that it was 93 proof instead of the standard 80 proof. They couldn't let me taste it because of some crazy CA law, but it had a fantastic nose. Needless to say I picked up a bottle of this instead of a bottle of wine!

Good to see other unique, well aged, and well proofed spirits besides bourbon being produced right here in the USA.

Guru

At the Philly Whiskeyfest I tried a fairly large variety of cognacs. Most were XO types or about that quality level. The best one I had was COURVOISIER EXCLUSIF COGNAC.

Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Cool Re: Brandy

My two favorite cognacs (I have never tried any of the obscure ones) are Remy Martin and Courvossier. I enjoy Remy for its elegance and Courvossier for its brilliant flavors. I currently have a Remy XO that I purchased in Martinique in 1990 and a Courvossier VSOP.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

Looking around this weekend, it appears that Germain-Robin is the most popular premium brand of US produced brandy. (So popular in fact that their prices are almost to cognac levels!) Has anyone here had any?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    Picked up a rather unique brandy this last week in California made by Bonny Doon Vineyards called Calvadoon. While I am by no means a wine expert, it is my understanding that these guys are are somewhat famous (infamous?) in the wine world for their wild artistic labels and their early adoption of screw caps. (Their wines taste pretty good to me as well.)

In any case, after trying out some of their wine, I was intrigued by a listing on their roster of a premium brandy. It is a mix of 86% apple brandy with 14% pear brandy aged for 13 years. I was further taken aback when I saw that it was 93 proof instead of the standard 80 proof. They couldn't let me taste it because of some crazy CA law, but it had a fantastic nose. Needless to say I picked up a bottle of this instead of a bottle of wine!

Good to see other unique, well aged, and well proofed spirits besides bourbon being produced right here in the USA.
    wow, sounds interesting! how much was that bottle?
    HUP!

Advanced Taster

I got it for $50 at their tasting room. They said that you could only get it there, but it appears that if you live in Cali you can have a bottle shipped to you:

https://www.bonnydoonvineyard.com/wi...-bca-onlyb.htm

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    Looking around this weekend, it appears that Germain-Robin is the most popular premium brand of US produced brandy. (So popular in fact that their prices are almost to cognac levels!) Has anyone here had any?
    I have the XO, the single barrel Colombard, and the Anno Domini 2000.
    The SB colombard is very fragrant and light, but a nice brandy nonetheless. The XO is SUBERB! AD 2000 is unopened!