Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Dougdogs\' Whiskey Rebarreling...

This post is to facilitate an exchange of knowledge and theory. It is an experiment from which to learn. I'm starting off simple at first for gathering a "baseline" of information to launch other variations in future projects.

My beginning goal, stated simply, is to "condition" the barrel(s) to allow for an introduction of selected, premium, younger whiskies to mature for lengthy periods of time...hopefully, making them better and/or more interesting. After the barrels are "done" aging Bourbon, possibly 10-20 years from now, I intend to further age SMSW. (Single Malt Scotch whisky) Using what I have learned here to hopefully make that successful too.

Thanks to all who have posted information in various places here on this site that has led up to this current place in time.

The barrels, 3 gallon and 5 gallons, were brought over to the "Study Group" last evening by Roger. (11-19-05)(Thanks Roger!) Both barrels are heavy char #3. (One can hear the bits of charcoal that are loose inside when the barrels are rolled or shaken.)

I intend to fill the first barrel today. I'm going to start with the small one. I'm using Ancient Age for two main reasons. First, it is relatively inexpensive. (14.99 per 1.75 liters) Second, I believe that this particular whiskey will do rather well with additional ageing.

After evaluating the time frames and tasting results when this AA is finally removed, the barrel will be filled again for round two. More will be known about what kind of whiskies will be chosen for the second fill after evaluating the results of taste and time from the first fill. There could be a third and final fill for the long haul, but that won't be considered to heavily at this point in time until more is known.

The "conditioning" mentioned above, is to now use inexpensive bourbon to prepare the barrel for more select bourbon, long term aging. After the "final" bourbon is matured, 10-20 years from now, additional conditioning could be done to prepare the cask for SMSW. The types of consideration for influencing the barrel might come from rums, wines, ports, Sherries or other similar products...time will tell.

Please post your comments or suggestions...I'd like to know what you think!

Best regards, dougdog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Barrel is full...

The barrel is full,it consumed the better part of (6) 1.75 liter plastic bottles. When replacing the bung, I could see the charcoal floating in the whiskey....

I'll keep in touch...best regards, dougdog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

Re: Dougdogs\' Whiskey Rebarreling...

The reason genetecists use fruitflies to test theories is because their life cycle is measured in days. Your experiment is measured in years. I think your grandkids will really enjoy what you learned.

The AA is a good call, as opposed to Old Crow or Kessler etc.

The East Bay is a rather temperate sort of place (I grew up down the street), do you think you have enough winter or enough summer to move the Bourbon through the char? I'm thinking that you just might end up with "smoked" AA.

Did I mention that I think this is really cool?

Connoisseur

Re: Barrel is full...

Doug, that is awsomely cool. You're a good month ahead of me I like the idea of using a conditioning run first. I'm betting even the 2nd and third fillings will be quicker than you think based on the size of the barrel. Maybe 10 months and 2 years?? Are you doing regular sampling to track it's progress?? How frequently??

Doug! Doug! Doug! Doug! Doug! Doug! Doug! Doug! Doug! Doug!

Ken

Re: Dougdogs\' Whiskey Rebarreling...

...I'm thinking that you just might end up with "smoked" AA...
    AAa?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Cool! can't wait to see how this works out!

Looks like you saved a sample to try it against, good.

Have you considered how you're going to filter it when you dump it? or if you will?

Have you considered how often you'll weigh the barrel to see how long it takes before you get losses other than what the barrel absorbs?

Looks good, where is it going to be stored again? Can we get some pics of its new home?

Though this might seem to be a odd thought, it might be interesting to get one of the digital weather stations that will give a daily average temp and keep track of it. It might be going overboard, but then again some would say that rebarreling your own whiskey is as well

Enthusiast

The barrel is full,it consumed the better part of (6) 1.75 liter plastic bottles.
    No leaks, then? When I filled an oak barrel with five gallons of (hard) cider many (25?) years ago, I had to soak it first in water to swell the staves. It leaked like a sieve for several days.

Of course, we never hear of this problem with whiskey barrels, so maybe they (and yours) haven't had time to dry out, as mine evidently had.

In no time at all, I had cider that was overwhelmingly oaky. Served it all up at a party. I rinsed it out well and still have it. I doubt that I could get it sweet enough to put anything in it that would be consumed, but who knows?

Jeff

Connoisseur

the weather...

Rob,

Having grown up in San Jose and spent most of my life in the Bay Area I find my East Bay location quite different weather wise compared to that of the South Bay/San Jose. Some of my observations seem, at times, quite counterintuitive. I've lived in my current home for 6 plus years now and paying close attention to the weather due to my interest in Bonsai (See dugzbonsai.com) it is easy for me to believe that there is sufficient temperature swing to do the job. Compound that with the extra "gain" in the attic and I think my barrel(s) will do just fine.

The record low in my back yard was three years ago at 21 degrees F. The record high has been 104. It is not unusual for the cold snaps to be 5-10 days long and the heat waves to be two to three weeks. Generally speaking, at summer time, it is usually warmer in San Jose than here and usually colder here than San Jose at the same time in winter.

One would think that the close proximity to the San Francisco Bay would moderate those temperatures more, but it just doesn't seem to work that way when I look at the thermometer.

I am going to get a thermometer that has the tell-tales for my attic so I can monitor the temperature swings and compare with those outside.

I wonder what the annual range is inside the warehouses in Kentucky?

Connoisseur

Ken...

Ken,

You wrote:

Are you doing regular sampling to track its progress?? How frequently??

My thought right now is to draw 50mls at one week intervals for the first 8 weeks and evaluate them at the one month intervals...oddly enough this will happen at the third Saturday "Study Groups"...what a coincidence!

I intend to measure and record the amount lost to evaporation and barrel absorption and replace with new AA after the weekly/monthly sample has been drawn...oh yea... and replace what we, the "study groupers", sample as well!

If you would like, I'd be glad to post the findings here.

Best regards, dougdog!

Connoisseur

Jeff...

Jeff,

No leaks in this barrel. Thank goodness!

I did overfill it slightly and the picture shows some moisture in the cracks and around the metal bands.

I did go around the barrel with a hammer and a big cold chisel to tighten up a few of the intermediated bands, which had come loose in transportation. (One had slipped off when handling it this morning prior to filling.)

A question back at you...Why would previously barreling cider prohibit you from re-barreling whiskey?

Best regards, dougdog