Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buffalo Trace

Taster
    Buffalo Trace is not available everywhere in Texas. You can get it in Dallas and Houston, but forget about it in Austin and San Antonio. I guess there just isn't enough of the pour to go around. Good for the price ($20), but better can be had for the same money. Actually, it is pretty tasty...now I want some.
    "Now it is time for that mellow moment"

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennan77
    We have a lot of BT at $18/bottle here in New Orleans. I tasted some yesterday from the "brown liquor cabinet" at the store where I work. It's definitely a nice bourbon for the price. It's not challenging in terms of being a complex drink. But it's certainly worth having on the shelf, at least for my tastes. I may get this one to have around for times when we have company who would like to drink bourbon, but won't necessarily appreciate the qualities of some of my more expensive bottles.
    I agree it is worth having on the shelf. I would even buy it again.

Disciple
    I usually see it for about $20/bottle. It's a decent bourbon with a great nose, but I was a little underwhelmed given the hype I'd heard about it.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Apprentice

Buffalo Trace = Sam Houston's ????

Does anyone think that Sam Houston (which I've only seen in Texas BTW), is really just Buffalo Trace in a fancy bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by photogjunkie
    Buffalo Trace is not available everywhere in Texas. You can get it in Dallas and Houston, but forget about it in Austin and San Antonio. I guess there just isn't enough of the pour to go around. Good for the price ($20), but better can be had for the same money. Actually, it is pretty tasty...now I want some.
    Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Administrator in exile
    Sam Houston and its bunker-mate Jefferson's Reserve are bottled by Mclain and kyne "Distillery." It's not really a distillery though, as they simply bottle whiskey purchased from someone else; presumably Heaven Hill. Both are somewhat overpriced IMO.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Apprentice
    I agree. It's sitting in my office [read "client justified office stash"] but I was a tad disappointed in Sam Houston. I thought it had a little bite on the aftertaste -- a tiny bit like Jack Daniels etc. like there is nothing to mellow the rye portion. Don't get me wrong, it will still be drunk within next six months...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Sam Houston and its bunker-mate Jefferson's Reserve are bottled by Mclain and kyne "Distillery." It's not really a distillery though, as they simply bottle whiskey purchased from someone else; presumably Heaven Hill. Both are somewhat overpriced IMO.
    Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy