Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Around the house brands

bobbyc mentioned this in another thread, so I thought I'd float it out to the collective. Pardon if this has been done before.

Any recommendations for a pleasant, and economical pour to keep around for personal, social, or otherwise just getting away from the rat race reasons?
    Let's say under $15 a fifth (750ml for you metric types )

My votes: Old Charter 8Yr., VOB 90, Ezra Brooks black label.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Around the house brands

I thought this had been done, but a quick search didn't seem to turn up much.

I could probably list half a dozen good bourbons in this price range, but I keep getting frustrated by some of my favs being just $2-3 too much to qualify. So I vote for Rittenhouse Rye 100. Not as widely available as any of us would like it, but Sam's lists it at $12.99

Also Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yo 100 ~$11

I second the VOB 90 and Charter 8-any of those bottlings for that matter.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I'll vote for a sure thing, Ten High. For 7 bucks a 750ml it has the bang for the buck. Not the most sophisticated thing you'll drink but a solid value.

Nothing to cry about if someones mixes it with Coke or Kool-Aid.

Don't forget JW Dant!

Advanced Taster

I guess bang for the buck is what I'm after. Altho most anything in this price range will mix well, Think of something that you would not flinch drinking it neat, or with a few ice cubes.
    Heaven Hill is a sentimental fave, and I completely forgot about Dant. Good call!

Virtuoso

Old Fitzgerald BIB would qualify well, IMHO. Sam's has it at $13.99 for 750ml, $17.99 for a liter, or $28.99 for a 1.75l... and it's tasty.

I don't know if this is consistently under $15, but Jim Beam Black label 8yo is usually available under $20. I always have a bottle in the house ready to open or, if already open, I buy a replacement before it's gone.
    Along Bobby's lines, Kentucky Tavern is another one that is so cheap, yet drinkable, that its versatility is endless.

Novice

My vote goes to Old Grandad 100 or even the 86 proof regular stuff is not bad. I have found that if you do a blind tasting, people often mistake it for a high end bourbon.

Jimmy

Connoisseur

My recent "discovery" is JTS Brown. Nice and spicey with a decent mouth feel. Around $11 here.

Tim, you got me thinking. My folks always used to drink Kentucky Tavern. I may have to pick up a bottle. Haven't had a pour of that in years.

Ken

Disciple

By coincidence I am having a pour of a bourbon that in this market qualifies as an under fifteen dollar bourbon, but which is very difficult to get in the States. I W Harper Gold Medal. I have in the past said that it is not really my cup of tea, but it tastes fine tonight. Nice vanilla, some cookie spice, warm alcohol, not hot. A little light, but I am in the mood for that tonight.

In case anyone here envies me the I W Harper, let me tell you that many of the bourbons you have been talking about in the thread either aren't available here or are only available at a premium price.

Ed

I can currently get Elijah Craig 12 for $14.99 (on sale from it's usual $16.99.) I my humble opinion, at that price, it is an absolute steal and the best value in the store.