Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Wodka Wyborowa

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Wodka Wyborowa

This is another Polish rye vodka, completely different in taste than Hetman's.

It has a much more upfront, "bright" taste, like a high watt bulb in relation to a low-wattage example.

The taste is sharper still, a little like the taste of fresh snow. It leaves a marked aftertaste in the mouth.

I prefer Hetmans.

I accept that the water used in dilution might account for some of these differences but it is remarkable how two Polish rye vodkas can be so different.

Gary

Disciple

Re: Wodka Wyborowa

Hi Gary,
    Is this one 40% abv, too?
    Ed

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Hi Ed, yes it is. Vodka in Canada almost always is 40%. Once in a while a stronger one appears here, I think one of the luxury versions of Smirnoff and of Stoli occaisonally seen here is higher, but this is unusual. We also have half bottles of Polish plain spirit, the very strong vodka that inspired a writer on spirits sharing a bottle with 2 friends to say, "It can't have gotten to you yet". And then a moment later: "I think I am going to bed now".

Gary

Disciple

Thanks Gary,
    I figured it was the same or you would have told us. I just wanted to check.
    Ed

Novice

Wyborowa has an ultra premium version as well, called Wyborowa Exquisite or Wyborowa Single Estate. It's certainly worth the money if you're into top-shelf vodkas

Connoisseur

The single estate bottle (or one of their higher end bottles) was designed by Frank Gehry the famous architect.

Enthusiast

Wyborowa is the Polish name for the European Bison,the wodka itself has its taste from the sprig of grass inside the bottle giving its taste to the wodka.According the distillery its the favorite grass of the Bison but it gives the wodka a nice taste,well i like it anyway.
    Eric.
    Netherlands