Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Mescal (Mezcal) vs Tequila, Opinions Wanted

Evening Frodo,
    ...My recollection is I liked the Mezcal more than Tequila. It just seemed to have more depth and was smokey rather than sweet...

Regards,
    Squire
    Seeing as I like smokey Scotch, the leap to smoky agave distilate doesn't seem too far fetched...

Connoisseur

Tequila the victor!

I greatly prefer tequila to mezcal, the taste is far more refined and it compares better to the standards of a fine whisky. THe disadvantage is that the prices are usually higher than mezcal, however at the premium level Tequila is cheaper to a greater demand for high quailty spirits.

TK

Enthusiast
    Lovers of smoky Scotch will go giddy over the Del Maguey "San Luis del Rio" single-village Mezcal. An absolute revelation in agave spirit.
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    How widely is tequila consumed in Mexico, is it truly a national drink or is the export market more important? It is commonly known that e.g. port is not that popular in Portugal, its historic market was in Britain. Can the same be said for tequila and the U.S. as an export market or is it an old-established drink with deep roots in Mexican culture?

Gary

I had mezcal once. I still have nightmares about that event.

Never, ever, ever again.

ever.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman
    How widely is tequila consumed in Mexico, is it truly a national drink or is the export market more important? It is commonly known that e.g. port is not that popular in Portugal, its historic market was in Britain. Can the same be said for tequila and the U.S. as an export market or is it an old-established drink with deep roots in Mexican culture?

Gary
    Tequila is sold all over in Mexico - not just the touristy hangouts. Therefore some of the locals must be buying the stuff. On the other hand, considering the wages earned by working-class mexicans, I don't think tequila would be in most accessable price ranges.

From what I understand, tequila has deep roots in Mexican culture. It's just lately that prices have risen (last 5-8yrs) so that it is now unaffordable by most Mexicans I would think.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade
    I had mezcal once. I still have nightmares about that event.

Never, ever, ever again.

ever.

Joel
    I got very sick as a teenager on rum and Dr. Pepper (there wasn't any coke around). Ten years later I could drink the odd rum & coke, and now I enjoy aged rum neat.

Mezcal isn't considered a "high class" drink so most of it on the market is of "entry level" quality. Mezcal might not be for you - it has a singular taste - but if you have based your choice on a night with Gusano Rojo then you might want to consider trying some better quality Mezcals before throwing in the towel on the lot.

Kinda like deciding that just because Jim Beam White doesn't do it for you, you may wish to try some mid-shelfers first!

Cheers.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_Parrott
    Lovers of smoky Scotch will go giddy over the Del Maguey "San Luis del Rio" single-village Mezcal. An absolute revelation in agave spirit.
    Yeah, the Del Maguay Mezcals are top-shelf stuff! If what you're referring to is the Chichicapa Mezcal, I've had it and was mightily impressed! Not for everyone though, and the price tag made me think twice...

Enthusiast
    No, the Chichicapa is a different village Mezcal, one that I have not tried yet. Some of them, I'm told, can be a bit sweet, but the San Luis was finely, finely balanced.
    Jake Parrott
    Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman

Gary
    Historically, agave spirits (tequila and mezcal) and even agave beer (pulque) were the drinks of the lower classes while the upper classes drank scotch and brandy. There probably have been some changes in this due to the export value of agave spirits. Beyond that, I don't know the answer, expect that I imagine there is some kind of cheap spirit available for low income folks.