Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Disciple

Re: Best Mixing Bourbon

My rule of thumb for bourbon mixed drinks is simple: Any brand with ginger ale. I like the 100 proof on up bourbons. I have used everthing from Colonel Lee 100 to George T Stagg. I used to use 7-up or sprite but that is for flavored vodka in my opinion. Ginger ale is also great with other whiskeys/whiskys as well. I love Irish whiskey and ginger ale, but absolutely mixed with 7-up or sprite.

Connoisseur

I'm a firm believer that the best products are made by using the best ingredients. About 50% of my bourbon consumption is via Manhattans and to me, the bourbon used makes a big difference in the final product. I'm not advocating using the priciest ones out there, but a good ~$20 bottle of bourbon (I'm using EC 12 yo right now with happy results) makes a better Manhattan made with Old Crow and the like. I know you probably don't disagree with that last statement. I guess I'm just saying that bottom bourbons don't make great Manhattans. They make passable Manhattans. Great Manhattans are made with great ingredients. And while I'm on the subject, toss those grocery store maraschino cherries and try the Michter's ones. Again, substituting a better product for an inferior one will just make the final product better.
    I guess the key here is 50% of your bourbon consumption is via Manhattans. I would say thats a very high percentage on this board, your 50% into Manhattans and 50% into bourbon. A lot of times if I make a Manhattan it is because I'm trying to get rid of a cheaper bourbon! I usually can't tell much of a difference and enjoy them made with almost any bourbon.

Disciple

IIRC Booker Noe said:"I don't mind if somebody wants to mix Booker's with Coke, it'll just be the best bourbon and Coke they ever had."

I have to disagree, even though it is Booker speaking. I have tried Booker's and Coke and it wasn't the best I had ever had. (Booker's most certainly is one of the best bourbons I have had)I am not at all against mixing with the best for the best result. However, using the best (bourbon) for a so-so cocktail is not going to happen more than once or twice.

BTW, my stance on Bourbon and Coke is the Bourbon improves the Coke, not the other way around. If I want an improved Coke, bourbon is one good way to go. If I want to try to improve a bourbon I Gillmanize.
    Ed

Connoisseur

IIRC Booker Noe said:"I don't mind if somebody wants to mix Booker's with Coke, it'll just be the best bourbon and Coke they ever had."

I have to disagree, even though it is Booker speaking. I have tried Booker's and Coke and it wasn't the best I had ever had. (Booker's most certainly is one of the best bourbons I have had)I am not at all against mixing with the best for the best result. However, using the best (bourbon) for a so-so cocktail is not going to happen more than once or twice.

BTW, my stance on Bourbon and Coke is the Bourbon improves the Coke, not the other way around. If I want an improved Coke, bourbon is one good way to go. If I want to try to improve a bourbon I Gillmanize.
    Ed
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

BTW, my stance on Bourbon and Coke is the Bourbon improves the Coke, not the other way around.
    I agree. I never mix those anymore-it's probably been 8 years or more(at least for myself-I was a bartender after all...Can't say no )

However, I do believe that the best ingredients produce the best results. But even the best white chocolate won't make brownies. Each mixed drink will lend itself to one bourbon or another. Rock Hill Farms makes a great manahatten. I consider Booker's and Coke an "appoved" use and it will shine more than some well brand blend. Do I like Booker's and Coke? Well I used to, but I gave up soft drinks (other than the occasional ginger ale) a few years back. Do I consider it the best use for Booker's? Hell no! Drink it straight, maybe a couple rocks. The whole point of barrel proof bourbon is to show of the maximum flavor that is possible. Wanna see the maximum bourbon flavor possible in a bourbon and coke: well there you go.

Guru

Just to answer your questions, I occasionally spend $30 or more on a single bottle of wine (probably only once or twice per year). I don't recall ever having spent $5 for a beer. Well, maybe at a Major League Baseball game where a Coke was just as expensive.

Tim

Guru

You can mix any cheap spirit with soda to make a cocktail that goes down easily, but with a little better grade of bourbon the resulting drink can have a bit of character.
    Oh, yes. I used to really enjoy scotch and Perrier. I amy have done it with bourbon and cognac, but not in a long time.

I need to remember this for next summer.

Tim

Taster

Had an Old Fashion with Pappy 15 made by Preston at Delilahs after Whiskey Fest this year...good bourbon in the hands of a qualified mixologist equals a very good drink.