Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Best Mixing Bourbon

I know this sounds like a goofy post in a place where people drink bourbon for the taste of the bourbon but it occurred to me there might be some reason why some of the cheaper brands are used for what they are used for.

Right now I only have two bottles in stock in my home one being Old Crow and the other being Evan Williams Black Label. My intention is to get some Jim Beam Black label next but working with what I have now, I had been adding diet sprite to the Evan Williams and it was damn good. Today I thought, why not 'not throw away' the Old Crow I bought (dirt cheap) and mix IT with the Diet Sprite.

Well, I will say the drink it makes is quite awesome. None of the Undesirables of the Old Crow are evident when it is mixed with some Sprite! If a person is going to drink Bourbon and Sprite, Old Crow is an awesome Bourbon!

Now I am curious about others who MIX their bourbon.

I recognize that when I tasted the 7YO beam it was pretty darn good on the rocks. I thought bourbon was something I'd begin to drink.

Now I am finding that drinking Cheaper Bourbon when adding to Sprite could actually be PREFERABLE to drinking the more expensive stuff.

So I ask you, if you were to make mixed drinks with Bourbon, which Bourbon would be the best?

Thanks,

Paul

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Best Mixing Bourbon

So I ask you, if you were to make mixed drinks with Bourbon, which Bourbon would be the best?
    Indeed and why stop there, I'd say if a flavored mixer is in the mix so to speak why not get a blend of some sort.I think Ky Tavern would be good here, I enjoyed some of it neat a few weeks back.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Jim Beam White Label and coke.

Connoisseur

This is an interesting post. I like to drink my bourbon neat. Having said that, anything that I don't enjoy neat becomes my mixing bourbon. The bottom bourbons are great for Manhattans, can be mixed with Coke for friends and are GREAT for marinades and cooking!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

IIRC Booker Noe said:"I don't mind if somebody wants to mix Booker's with Coke, it'll just be the best bourbon and Coke they ever had."

I second that.

Connoisseur

IIRC Booker Noe said:"I don't mind if somebody wants to mix Booker's with Coke, it'll just be the best bourbon and Coke they ever had."
    That will NEVER happen in my house Friends don't let friends mix Booker's with anything!

Guru

I really enjoy an occasional Wild Turkey 101 with old fashioned, spicy ginger ale (I use Buffalo Rock, but I know its not widely available). Occasional? Maybe twice a year.

I also occasionally enjoy Chuck Cowdery's recipe for bourbon, ice, and a lot of water. Kentucky iced tea? Usually in the summer time.

That's about the extent of my borubon mixing.

Tim

Connoisseur

Not even an occasional Manhattan?...

Enthusiast

What is a flavored mixer? Would that be like Vanilla Diet Coke?

Enthusiast

I have seen an entire page of drinks which are designed for Jack Daniels but probably would also work for Bourbon. One of them was a Tea Drink and included real tea in it! I have also seen variations on the Long Island Iced tea which is quite popular nowadays, but it has a lot of stuff in it besides the bourbon.

I like your idea of Bourbon and Water. My father now has Dementia. I thought he was just a drunk, but it was Lewy Bodies Dementia (like Alzheimers). Now I recognize it WAS NOT the Whiskey. He used to dring cheap scotch though in what to me looked like a beer mug. He would put ice and water in it.

I figured it was like Lo Carb Beer.

But that was his drink with Bottom Shelf Scotch. I'd buy hime some Johnny Walker Red or Black and he'd appreciate the hell out of it, but keep buying the really cheap stuff which he drank a lot of. I asked him about it and he told me he could't taste the difference.

In Scotch he said the longer it was aged the smokier (nastier) it got. So it seemed the 8YO was better in a sense than the 12YO.

I don't know but I think he was drinking the equivalent of our three year old with the stuff he drank normally

So I understand the mixing deal.

I myself just added some Evan Williams to my Diet Sprite and it was a little too much! I didn't seem to have that problem with the Old Crow. So the Old Crow seems to me to have a lot of utility in mixing with diet sprite and coke.

I think however if I cut the Evan Williams with enough water it'd make an awesome Iced Tea.

Paul