Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Linn\'s Mt Vernon Story

Linn, such fine work deserves its own subject heading and I am proud to be the one to start it. You did a terrific job with both the story and the photography. It is both evocative and informative. It also sounds like the Mt. Vernon folks did a great job putting on the event.

As an aside, do you know if Mrs. Newman is the wife of the Phil Newman who was formerly an executive at Glenmore and then United/Guinness in Louisville? Mike Veach, who worked with Phil, may also know.

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Linn\'s Mt Vernon Story

Thank you Chuck you're too kind. I do not know if Phillip Newman III is the Phil Newman you speak of, but it seems very likely so. It is very obvious that Mrs. Newman is well connected at the highest levels of Bourbonia, and happily so,as we all benifit from these ladies selfless works.

The fine folks at DISCUS did a splendid job all around. Judy Blatman deserves accolades for her swift attention for my pleas for press credenitals. She's a real sweety. I also want to thank Jim Butler for having enough faith in me to send in an official request to DISCUS for my press credentials. Many thanks to Esther C. White of Mount Vernon for her tireless efforts to get me included in the event and for providing such good gist for my mill.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Connoisseur

Linn,

Nicely done my friend. I'm hoping Esther and her folks set up a booth at the festival.

Omar

**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you Omar! Esther lives with her hands deep into the past. If the booth were several hundred years old and she had to dig for it she'd be there!

Linn Spencer

**DONOTDELETE**

<big>VERY</big> IMPRESSIVE! That's about as well-written an article as I've seen. The opening paragraphs read the way I wish all mine did, and I really appreciated the way you echoed that imagery at the middle and again at the end with Washington's toast. The illustrations were perfect. Good work, Gee Bee.

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,
    Yes, that is Phil's wife. She has been involved with many historical societies through the years including a stint as President of the Filson Club.
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

Linn,
    Great article. I do question the wisdom of floating barrels of bourbon in the river. I know that it can cause the whiskey to get musty, but then again, I guess this whiskey is not for public consumption. You should have volunteered to be a taste tester to make sure this did not happen.
    Mike Veach

**DONOTDELETE**

Mike take a look at that photo again. The barrels were floating far too high, and were props for the photo op. The real barrels of whiskey were already stored away safely. No one is exactly sure what Mount Vernon is going to do with the whiskey once it's been aged. Perhaps I should offer to visit every so offten to sample the barrels and judge their progress. I feel very patriotic just thinking about it.

Linn Spencer

Advanced Taster

LINN
    You did yourself proud, excellent article and pictures CONGRATULATIONS!!!

**DONOTDELETE**

Linn,
    I think that not only should they do this, but they should pay you for your expert opinion (unless some of the bourbon is wheated).
    Mike Veach