Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM 12/05: Elijah Craig 12yo

This month's BOTM always seems to draw strong opinions when discussed. Love it or hate it, this bourbon is steeped in tradition and bourbon folklore. A great offering from the heart of bourbon country. The Bourbon of the Month for December, 2005 is:

Elijah Craig 12yo

Let's hear what you have to say!

Sound Off

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 12/05: Elijah Craig 12yo

As an aside, one of the UK's biggest off licence chains has started stocking this as their standard American offering (Oddbins).

Great value and great whisky. A quite 'moody' whisky, which I always enjoy most at the start of an evening.

Disciple

I like it a lot. It is especially good when drinking it over a charcoal fire. Something about the smoke from the fire brings out the distinctive taste of this fine whiskey. Too bad it is getting colder now and most of the list won't want to try this.
    Ed

Connoisseur

I am currently out of this but when I had it I like it a good bit, especially for the $13 I paid for it!

Guru

I used to like this a lot but the quality seems to have declined / become inconsistent recently. Could this be a result of the HH fire?

Novice

When I introduce someone to good bourbon, I ask them to take a sniff of EC 12 yr. Part of it is the shape of the bottle, but I think it has the best nose of any bourbon at any price. Everyone's response is the same - they smile and say "wow!"

Jimmy

Guru

I, along with others, have noted considerable variability in this product. One one occasion the whiskey was almost undrinkable due to a sharp metallic taste. Others have noted this as well. The next bottle will be super and among the finest bourbons available. Because of this variability, I rarely buy it anymore.
    Joe

Enthusiast

Had a bottle about a year ago. Didn't like it; I think "metallic" is an accurate term. Tried it again a few months later, on a friend's purchase, and got the same taste. I won't be buying a bottle to do this month's BOTM, but encourage other newer drinkers to do so; it has too many admirers to assume your reaction will be like mine.
    Bob

I used to like this a lot but the quality seems to have declined / become inconsistent recently. Could this be a result of the HH fire?
    Doesn't seem likely, since the fire was in '96, or at least 3 years after any currently-bottled 12yo was distilled.
    As for me, I fall into both categories Jeff mentioned -- I hated it the first time I tried it (some of that medical lab metal Joe mentioned), and love a bottle from 1997 I currently have open. It's cheap enough I'll probably go for a tiebreaker bottle, but if I get 2 out of 3 clinkers, I may surrender to the odds.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Well, a quick check of "Whiskey South"(my LA collection) turned up no EC 12. I'm not suprised since it's mostly dusty-corners and not in KY bottles. Figured I'd wait a week to get back to "Whiskey North"(my main collection in KY) before I get to try this, but a check of my excel inventory says there's none there either. So looks like Ima goin' to the store tommorrow. Now, can I really go to the store and only leave with one bottle...