Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 12/05: Elijah Craig 12yo

And, I have heard they make some pretty good bourbon, there.

Tim
    Thats the understatement of the year.
    Joe

Guru

Re: BOTM 12/05: Elijah Craig 12yo

We moved to the area two years ago and love it! People are very friendly, the hills are beautiful, and downtown Cincinnati is a few minutes away.

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 12/05: Elijah Craig 12yo - What I learned

Ken,

Thanks a lot for the information re: KY. Yeah I being from Connecticut miss the trees and hills and streams and it seems that KY is similarly beautiful. Now I just hope they give me that job! As far as Elijah Craig goes, my bottle level was lowering and it was bothering me. My wife likes the Elijah Craig!

I had been wanting to try Scotch because I know how way back I used to like it and so many people like it. I defied my wife's no more bottles rule and went to the liquor store and really only wanted a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black or Red even or Famous Grouse or maybe Dewars. And the guy told me this single malt was only 18 bucks and blew these others away. I thought ok.... it was called Speyburn 10YO single malt and I bought it. When I got home I smelled it and the remembrance of white lightning I had bought at the 1978 Union Grove Fiddlers Convention came to mind where I bought a gallon of stuff labeled RFD #3. It smelled like that moonshine. Not a good memory seriously.

Well, the liquor store guy was really nice though and I also asked him what he thought of various bourbons and that the best stuff I had bought to date was Elijah Craig. He handed me a 25 dollar Evan Williams 1995 Single barrel or whatever Gift Set with a rocks glass and silver measuring cup for 25 bucks and I bought it. I thought, act and explain later. Yes my wife complained .... but I will say that stuff is the most easy to drink straight up bourbon I have had yet!

I do not regret it at all!

After drinking the scotch and the Evan Williams Single barrel, I will say that Bourbon kicks ass over scotch for my taste buds-- I like it a lot better!

And if ANYBODY wants some truly good stuff for a good deal, I took it from the people on this list and the guy working at Gomer's in Kansas City, the Evan Williams Single Barrel is really a good deal. The Elijah Craig is good too! but for five bucks more the Evan Williams Single barrel is worth five bucks more. I found that to drink it without any ice or water was super easy.

Virtuoso

And the guy told me this single malt was only 18 bucks and blew these others away. I thought ok.... it was called Speyburn 10YO single malt and I bought it.
    Speyburn is generally regarded as a bottom shelf pour. Good Scotches tend to cost a lot more than good bourbons.

Probably the best deal I can currently find on the Scotch side of the aisle at this point is Aberlour 10yo, usually around $30. Otherwise, expect to spend $45+ for a good bottle of SMSW, and the sky's the limit. Note also that single malts have a huge spectrum of flavors - an Ardbeg is nothing like an Aberlour, and an Aberlour is nothing like a Highland Park.

As for EC12, I've quite liked the bottle I have here, and it's been very good bang-for-the-buck. It will be replaced once it's empty.

It's surprising how many good bourbons there are in the $25-and-under range!

Enthusiast

Speyburn is generally regarded as a bottom shelf pour. Good Scotches tend to cost a lot more than good bourbons.
    I feel a little need to amplify that statement a bit---there are many good Scotches that cost a lot more than good bourbons, but there are a fair number of Scotches that are pretty good but don't cost an arm and a leg. Among blends, Teacher's and Grant's are pretty good and relatively cheap. Among single malts it's a bit tougher, but regular old Glenfiddich is a pretty good buy, and I'm partial to Old Pulteney, a coastal north Highlands malt that is usually a bargain, if you can find it. Auchentoshan Select is another cheap but yummy single malt.

The Signatory Vintage line has some good deals in it, too, although one may not always know what's in the bottle. But, although they tend to be younger expressions I've had a number of them and never had anything that was bad. Look especially for the "Signatory Vintage Orkney" and "Signatory Vintage Campbeltown" versions: there are a very limited number of distilleries in those locales, and no duds. I've also had and enjoyed Signatory Vintage Lowland, Signatory Vintage Mull and Signatory Vintage Islay, although the current version of the latter is a Laphroaig product that might not be for everybody. I haven't had it myself but the Signatory Vintage Highland apparently comes from Glenrothes, and their eponymous malts are excellent (and not cheap).

United Distillers sells a set of minis of each member of their "Classic Malts" line: Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie, Cragganmore, Oban, Talisker, and Lagavulin. If you're curious about Scotch, that's a great way to experience just about the entire breadth of the single malt world. The only thing missing is a heavily-sherried malt (a la Macallan).

To bring this back sort of on topic: I had a bottle of EC12. It seemed to vary from pour to pour: sometimes I really liked it, but more often there seemed to be something off-putting about it. When it was gone I did not replace it. At Whiskeyfest I went to a Heaven Hill presentation where we tasted EWSB, EC12, and EC18. I thought the EWSB was better than either of the others. I suspect there's something in the Heaven Hill house style that I just don't like too much, and that that effect is minimized in the single barrels chosen for EWSB, but manifests itself in products for which more barrels are poured, such as EC12 or regular old Evan Williams. Whatever it is it doesn't seem to manifest in their rye whiskey; I like Rittenhouse a lot. (Haven't found Pikesville around here.) So, what about the EC18, which is also a single-barrel product? I don't know; I just liked the EWSB better, and since it costs a lot less I have not felt the need to pick up a bottle of the older version.

Enthusiast

(Haven't found Pikesville around here.)
    I don't think you will, either. It is an old Baltimore production, and I think it's only sold in that area.

Jeff

Enthusiast

I don't think you will, either. It is an old Baltimore production, and I think it's only sold in that area.
    Ah, well, now I know where to look for it.

Novice

I'm one of those who just has taken to EC 12. Like some here, I've noticed that "metallic" twinge in both bottles that I've bought.

The price is right and of course it is widely revered, I want to like it, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Enthusiast

Tonight my wife wanted some of the egg nog. She added bourbon to it. I would have preferred she use the Evan Williams but instead she used the Elijah Craig. Now I am in a competition with her to finish it off! LOL.

Well, I had been drinking the black label Jim Beam and liked it a lot. Today I poured the Elijah Craig and it was totally awesome the first sips neat. It has a lot of character the Jim Beam does not although I don't know how to say it.

Are they going to keep making this stuff?

Paul

Administrator in exile

Paul,

Elijah Craig is a standard bottling from Heaven Hill and as such it should be around for a long time. Glad you're enjoying it!