Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: When was Kentucky Spirit first bottled?

Again, I appear not to be making myself clear. I do not mean to imply 'single-barrel' is anything but exactly that. I only am suggesting that perhaps they bottle more than one barrel (not blended together, but separately) at a time.

It also crosses my mind (maybe I'm just too tired!) that perhaps 'Barrel #1" only means the barrel came from the end of a row, and was in the #1 position.

Advanced Taster

Ah Ha..yes I did think that's what you meant Tim...

I would no doubt assume that they would bottle more than one barrel at a time.
    I have seen pics of small bottling lines and they do more than one barrel at a time.

Ok then, now I think I am clear about what you are saying...
    Let's take your bottle for example....
    You have a bottle from the first barrels bottled on a particular day in 01'??
    But I have trouble with this...it doesn't seem logical to me.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Let's take your bottle for example....
    You have a bottle from the first barrels bottled on a particular day in 01'??
    But I have trouble with this...it doesn't seem logical to me.
    Actually keep in mind here the Barrel-Rick-Warehouse numbers. They could bottle these barrels in any order, that is just the location of the barrel in the warehouse.

Going back to your bottles from 94 they are likely from the first "batch" of barrels that were bottled as KY Spirit. It seems just as likely that the #4 barrel could be the first one that was bottled as the #2 barrel or the #1 barrel.

On a side note, the barrel selection for those first barrels was probably spectacular. Having had chances to talk to Jimmy, and knowing how much that place is his and not the owners, when they asked him to do that the first time he probably scanned more barrels and was pickier. Not to say that he would have slacked off as time goes by, but more that he might have been more likely to show off his whiskey with that first batch.

Connoisseur

It also crosses my mind (maybe I'm just too tired!) that perhaps 'Barrel #1" only means the barrel came from the end of a row, and was in the #1 position.
    That was how I always interpreted it, Tim. So to my original reply. You could have a barrel #1, rick #7 Warehouse H and a barrel #1 rick 3 Warehouse E. Don't know for sure but the label made me think this was the case.

Of course, how that would play against barrel rotation (does WT still rotate? ) is a whole different question.

Ken