Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffalo Trace

**DONOTDELETE**

re:Yes... I\'m fresh meat

John,
    The Lot number on the bottle is No. C-B-16-79 No. 01603 - Now that I see how the code is read it must mean v.1979 - What you don't know can hurt you[IMG]/wwwthreads/images/frown.gif[/IMG] -

I think I'll keep it though, as I only paid $30.00 for it - Thirty's not too bad, it came in a small stamped wooden box - At least us newbies give you old timers something to laugh at - Thanks for the tip

Wee
    <font color=blue>[i][b]A bad day with wine,...is still a pretty good day-Justin Wilson[b][i]<font color=blue>[IMG]/wwwthreads/images/wink.gif[/IMG]

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: re:Yes... I\'m fresh meat

> The Lot number on the bottle is No. C-B-16-79 No. 01603 - Now that I see how the code is read it must mean v.1979 - What you don't know can hurt you

Well, I wouldn't say that...

It looks like you did indeed get quite an important bottling. That would likely be the very first year (I had guessed 1980 based on the date of the 10th anniversary bottling, but Booker's not bottled in exact one-year segments so 1979 would probably be just about right).

And THIRTY DOLLARS???

Uh, are you able to get any more at that price? :-)

Signed, Envious in Cincinnati

-John Lipman-
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Booker\'s, Baker\'s, Candlestick Makers

Booker's is Beam whiskey, same exact formula. It becomes Booker's only when the barrels are selected in the warehouse. Booker believes that bourbon matures at 6 to 8 years and the first bottlings under the Booker's label were created by the company as business gifts in, I believe, 1986 or 1987. They didn't start to sell it to the public until a few years later. I am pretty sure it was before I left Kentucky. I can remember where I was and who I was with (she was cute) when I had my first taste of Booker's, but I don't remember the exact date. Anyway, 1980 sounds about right for the year of distillation. You could certainly have Beam whiskey made earlier, but it wouldn't have been called Booker's.

You're probably right about Carl, although Booker was certainly working there in the 60s. Baker, Carl's son, followed Booker in the job and has his own Small Batch bourbon. I know that even when Booker had the title "Master Distiller," Baker was actually running the Clermont plant, and presumably someone else was the distiller at the Boston (Kentucky) plant.

--Chuck Cowdery

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: re:Yes... I\'m fresh meat

Don't put your bid in too fast, John. Wee used the term "small" to describe the wooden box that contained his bottle of Booker's. If the box is small, how big is the bottle? Remembering that those early bottles were made as gifts, they may have done some as 375ml or other smaller sizes. I believe they still do make the 50ml, which they sell in a set with the other Small Batchers...in a small wooden box.

--Chuck Cowdery

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Buffalo Trace

I believe I spoke to the same tour guide. Rita is a charming lady, and since it was just the two of us, I was able to ask whatever I liked. I asked her directly about the Weller brand that had been bought by Serzac, and she said that they are producing that here in the Frankfort Distillery. Since that's a wheated product as opposed to all the other Buffalo Trace bourbons, it sounds like they've expanded the variety of recipies they're using.