Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Help on choosing a Bourbon to Re-Barrel

I am in the process of getting my new 2L American Oak barrel(I retail them) curred and ready to take a filling of Bourbon.
    I would like to hear peoples thoughts on what bourbon I should use first. I am hoping that on each fill the barrel will not only transfer the characteristics from the wood but the previous bourbon used, so I would like to use a fairly 'strong' product first.

I have just emptied a bottle a Scotch into another barrel for the same purpose, I used a bottle of Glenfiddich 21yr old Gran Reserva

Troy.

Enthusiast

Re: Help on choosing a Bourbon to Re-Barrel

I have just emptied a bottle a Scotch into another barrel for the same purpose, I used a bottle of Glenfiddich 21yr old Gran Reserva

Yeah, you know, I've often thought that all that 21yo Glenfiddich needed to make it a really great dram was a little more time in the wood.

Why'd you pick that one?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I just screamed in horror.

Connoisseur

I just screamed in horror.
    Me too! Yikes.

Although it's already a very good Bourbon I want to try regular Wild Turkey 101. Visions of Tribute are dancing in my head. We'll see.

I would suggest Maker's Mark would be a good choice. It seems to need more time. Doug's project with Ancient Age is, of course a great choice.

Ken

Advanced Taster

Thanks Ken...I had not even thought about Maker's - this could be a very viable option.
    Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure in sampling the WT Tribute but I can imagine this would have been a great tasting bourbon??
    I just had a thought, I have been working on a special little collection that I will be selling at a later stage, I will post a pic up on under my post on collectible bottles, check it out I think you may be just a little impressed. I have brass plates to go the front also.
    Cheers Ken
    Troy @ Bar Items Plus.

Okay, now that I've recovered from the shock and horror of your scotch abuse, I have a suggestion or two for bourbons to reage. I think that Old Grand Dad bond would be a great choice as would Weller Antique. Both give you high proof young whiskies with a respectable starting flavor profile. Since you are using a small barrel either will be quite affordable.

One thing to watch out for: that small barrel gives a high surface to volume ratio that may accelerate the results.

Advanced Taster

Scotch Abuse???? Oh NO Timothy, let me just say this....
    Many Scotches are taken from one barrel then finished in another, just one example Balenvie 12yr old Double Wood(I use this example as it is quite a common whisky easy to find) - In my opinion I am doing nothing more than taking a more professional approach to my whisky experiences

Thanks for the advice on the bourbon to use aswell, I will order some of this in and use that. I must admit I am still quite a novice when it comes to bourbon and I have yet to sample many more different bourbons
    I haven't had Old Grand Dad in any of the variations so I will sample this as soon as I can.

It looks like I may have to get some more barrels....
    Troy.

Advanced Taster

I forgot to mention... yes I am well aware of
    One thing to watch out for: that small barrel gives a high surface to volume ratio that may accelerate the results.
    Again I must make mention of Scotch...Laphroaig have a release of a quarter cask.

Oh, the scotch abuse I refer to was taking a whisky that I thought was pretty much perfect for its style and putting that at risk.

Oh, yes I realize that there are some smaller barrels that are being used in other distilling industries however a quarter cask will still have about a 13 gallon capacity or about 32x the volume of the 2L cask you're using. Not sure of the exact surface to volume of either cask but yours will definitely be higher. I'm basically just saying to keep an eye on it.

Best of luck.

Advanced Taster

the scotch abuse I refer to was taking a whisky that I thought was pretty much perfect for its style and putting that at risk
    yep I am aware that I could very well ruin the whisky but if I keep my eye on it as you have noted, then I will be ok.
    I haven't gone into this blind eyed Tim, I have done my research and I'm not a complete beginner with whisky but the more experience I gain from doing different things is invaluble...

I tell you what mate, if you send me your address I will send you a sample when it is finished and re-bottled. If you trust me
    I did also want to point out that I had given thought to putting some port in the barrel(for conditioning) to start with, but I have decided that I will use this when I empty the Scotch. I will try and find something to use when I empty the bourbon barrel too...I may fill it with Rum??
    I should point out that I do understand what you were saying about using the 21yr old as a conditioner but that is exactly my purpose for using that whisky, I want to have just the pure oak flavours to start with, I can sort of remember what the whisky is like out of the bottle.
    Cheers
    Troy.