Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Adding Water

Enthusiast

Adding Water

OK, Granted that 7UP tastes good with Bourbon..... I have discovered how to be able to drink bourbon I THOUGHT was hard to drink. Just add water! Then its the taste of the actual bourbon with a bit of the rough bite missing.

Now I am wondering how you all do it as well. Do you add water too?

I remember how my father drank scotch which was he used a taller glass which was sort of a mug actually. Sort of looked like a beer mug, but instead of a glass handle is was like a taller rocks glass with a leather handle on it. He would add water to his scotch on the rocks. The scotch he was drinking was a 'scotch buy' type scotch.... a lesser expensive scotch.

Now I am finding that while the more premium Elijah Craig is certainly easier to drink than the Evan Williams 7YO, what makes ANY Bourbon difficult to drink is eased by the addition of water. I am wondering if you all have likewise found this to be true.

Thanks,

Paul (new at Bourbon)

Guru

Re: Adding Water

Paul,

Here's a thread that deals with your question, along with other related issues, such as glassware and rocks.

I think there is a poll that's on point, as well, but I didn't find it in three tries.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

While searching unsuccessfully for the poll I mentioned in my earlier post, I found the following threads that may be of interest.

Number one.

Number two.

Number three.

Number four.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

yeah thanks! those posts are informative. I was wondering if I could be a bourbon drinker because it seemed a bit rough compared to the scotch I tried before. But its definitely a lot easier to drink with a little water and you do get to taste it a little differently. I like the idea that Crowdery has of having the water on the side and starting it at full strength and then adding until you get to where you can appreciate it.

I'm especially pleased to note how the Whiskey I thought was unpalatable. The 7YO Evan Williams is really very good with some water.

Connoisseur

Paul, there was a point when I surely agreed with you. I added water to almost everything. It did let me enjoy the flavors without the "burn". The older I get the more I enjoy bourbon straight. I will still occasionally add water but mostly I enjoy the whole experience of slowly sipping a really good Bourbon, all by itself.

JMO

Ken

Connoisseur

Try this, have a glass of good spring water handy. Take a big drink of water and then immediately after follow it up with a sip of straight bourbon. You'll get all the bourbon flavor and it won't be as strong....GOOD LUCK!

Connoisseur

I really like the stonger Bourbons now. So I do what you suggest but on a daily basis. I drink good water during the day and follow it with Bourbon at night

Yummy!

Ken

Connoisseur

I really like the stonger Bourbons now. So I do what you suggest but on a daily basis. I drink good water during the day and follow it with Bourbon at night

Yummy!

Ken
    That works...

Apprentice
    The only bourbon I add much water to is Bookers; at 126 proof it's almost a necessity. Ordinarily I add just a drop or two to release the aromas and sip it slowly. I definitely don't rush my whiskey!
    Mad Mac
    "If you want to sing out, sing out!"