Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Opinions on other Van Winkle Products

Later this week I will be in KY. I have some of the better known Van Winkle products set aside for me. The 15yr 107 Proof 20yr Family Resserve and the 13yr Family Reserve Rye. But, what about there other products. The ones you don't always see all the reviews about. The 12yr Old Rye, the 10yr 90 Proof and 10yr 107 proof KSB. The 12yr Special Reserve. I only have so much money to go around. and I have some of the Buffalo Trace premium products and A.H. Hirsch 16 & 20yr coming back with me. Just seems I never read or hear a lot about these other Van Winkle Products. I have to feel they must be decent Bourbons. Any and all comments in public or privatge are appreciated. Thanks in advance, Creggor.

Advanced Taster

Re: Opinions on other Van Winkle Products

Berghoff 10 year 107 proof is one of my favorite bourbons bottled by Van Winkle. I assume it is the same as the Van Winkle labeled version.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any Van Winkle product.

Bill
    http://home.kc.rr.com/mashbill/

**DONOTDELETE**

The ones you mentioned always reading about (15yr 107 Proof, 20yr Family Reserve, and 13yr Family Reserve Rye) are the stars of the Van Winkle show. The others don't seem to get the same "airplay", but most companies would die to have any one of them in their lineup. There are also others that you might not even realize are Old Rip in different clothing. Bill mentioned one, Berghoff. Twisted Spoke and Old Commonwealth are others. I'm sure Julian can add more. By the way, many believe that the better of Van Winkle ryes is not the 13yr Family Reserve but the 12yr old. In fact, for me and everyone I know who's ever tasted it, the 12yr Old Rip rye is the best rye whiskey available, period. It even edges out over Sazerac 18yr (barely, but consistantly).

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

Creggor,
    Julian has a real talent for picking barrels of bourbon that will age well. All of his products are excellent.
    Mike Veach

Advanced Taster

Hello, John. Thanks for the opinion on the 12yr Van Winkle Rye. Get this today I called The Party Source in Florence KY. I started asking about some special items. I was talking with Robert and he says when ever he gets in a lot of the better and harder to find Bourbons he has some collectors that comes in and buys the all. Guess what I asked Robert if it was you and he said yes. I said I know. John Lipman (meaning you) had given me his name and number to call. Any how Robert has set aside a few items for me this coming saturday. I may take back a 12yr Van Winkle Rye along with the 13yr. Now if I can only find the time to come to the Braidstown Festivel sometime.. John I will give my regards to Robert for you when I see him Saturday. Thanks again for your insight. Creggor.

**DONOTDELETE**

Creggor,
    The Van Winkle 12 year Old Tyme Rye is my favorite in the Rye catagory. Wonderful Rye whiskey!

It is a bit unnerving though, to know that my husband is known in most of the liquor stores in Northern Kentucky! (actually, I think that we are both known there pretty well!)

~Linda~
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Advanced Taster

Hello, Having returned this past Sunday from a brief trip to KY. I brought back with me some of the 12yr & 13yr. Van Winkle Rye's. I have tried both the past few night. All I can say is I wish I had been drinking these the past 20yr over Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. I found both to be marvelous examples. I like them both and for the price.. I all ready have a call into my sister in KY. Asking her to go and get me additional bottles of this for my return trip this summer. I am also looking foward to trying the 18yr Sazerac Rye. I only have 1 bottle so when she tells me she has 2 more bottles in hand I will crack the one I have here. I seemed to really enjoy the flavors that rye has to offer. Creggor.

Quote Originally Posted by Historic_user
    ...By the way, many believe that the better of Van Winkle ryes is not the 13yr Family Reserve but the 12yr old. In fact, for me and everyone I know who's ever tasted it, the 12yr Old Rip rye is the best rye whiskey available, period. It even edges out over Sazerac 18yr (barely, but consistantly).

=John=
    Sigh. My last one is open right now.
    Tim

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    Sigh. My last one is open right now.
    Enjoy it! I have 1 1/2 bottles left and am savoring every drop. Definitely the best rye I've ever tasted. The Family Reserve comes close, but the Old Time Rye gets the edge.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    I've never tried the 12yo, but have 2/3 left in the bottle that I picked up in England back in late 2004....
    I'm savouring every single drop I pour