Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Speaking of Small Pours . . .

I do notice that the first taste the evening tends to be a little different each time, even for a familiar/favorite.
    I recognize this phenomenon, too. Im certainly no biologist but sometimes I fantasize that the alcohol of the first sip obliterates remaining taste fragments on the tongue, thus paving the way for the optimum enjoyment of the forthcoming sips.

Aah, wild speculations!

Connoisseur

I do notice that the first taste the evening tends to be a little different each time, even for a familiar/favorite.
    I recognize this phenomenon, too. Im certainly no biologist but sometimes I fantasize that the alcohol of the first sip obliterates remaining taste fragments on the tongue, thus paving the way for the optimum enjoyment of the forthcoming sips.

Aah, wild speculations!
    I think you're on to something there, Hedmans. For me, it's usually 2 glasses, 4-6 oz each. I feel I'm into the "zone" by the end of the first glass so the second one is just wonderful. For this to work though, it's the same Bourbon for both glasses. Switching in mid stream is just too confusing for my simple taste buds.

Ken

Advanced Taster

Ken,

I think that really gets to the core of it. Most evenings I like a pour or two to relax and enjoy the the end of the day. Once in a while I will compare different bottles but for the most part I stick with one bottle on any given day.

Tim

Apprentice
    I'm pretty much of a lightweight - it's a max of two 50 mL pours for me, and that's on a weekend. I find that with much more than that I lose my sense of taste and greatly increase the risk of a hangover... Sigh...
    Mad Mac
    "If you want to sing out, sing out!"

Enthusiast
    I find a smaller pour gives me a bare impression as opposed to a real taste for the stuff. Usually 50 ml for me!