Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey

No, Completely forgot.

Enthusiast

You lucky dog! Anyone who sees it in California or on Binny's please let me know.

Apprentice

You lucky dog! Anyone who sees it in California or on Binny's please let me know.

I was in Binnys over the weekend and they didn't have it. However, I just received an email from Binnys and they are expecting it to be in the stores by Wed.

Chuck

After an exchange of messages last week with Ken Weber, here's some more info:
    The original numbered 1,000 bottles were/will be presented as VIP tokens. About 300 of them went to Buffalo Trace/Sazerac employees. Original production was about 600 6-bottle cases (3,600 bottles). I didn't follow up to ask if that includes the original 1,000.
    Looks like, in any case, you shouldn't wait too long to pull the trigger, or else you'll be waiting till the next bottling.

Connoisseur

I spotted 4 or 5 of these today at a local store that was once an old haunt of mine but one I have not visited in years. One of the guys there tried to interest me in a bottle - but being totally ignorant about rye, I bypassed it and instead picked up the last EWSB he had in stock. The Sazerac seemed reasonably priced at $25.99. After reading so much good press here, maybe I best go back over there and get a couple of bottles tomorrow. I have not seen this as of yet in the other 4 or 5 stores I frequent. Is it really true that only around 1000 have been produced? I've been into bourbon for years but have never tried any rye. What have I missed? I have had my share of "rye recipe" bourbons - but not straight rye. Probably a dumb question: how does rye taste/mix in comparison to some of the premium bourbons? Also, how does the Sazerac rye compare to other ryes out there? From reading here, it sounds like this Sazerac would be the one to take the plunge with as a rye virgin. Any other recommendations? Your excellent insight and advice are much appreciated!!!

Connoisseur

First, yes, you should get a bottle of the new Saz if it's there.

Second, almost any rye you'll find is at least very good. The bottom shelfer's, Old Overholt and such are wonderful. The mid shelfers like Wild Turkey 101 Rye are fantastic. In fact, that one is my personal favorite Rye. The top shelfers like the Saz 18 and maybe the new Saz(?) bring more sophistication with their age, more barrel, smoother.

Third, the thing I find in rye is spice. Call it anise, call it mint. In Tim's review of the new Saz he said "muothwash fresh" That's valid. It isn't quite as sweet as bourbon but it is a great spirit.

Try a couple. They're great. You'll enjoy the variety (at least I do!)

Ken

Connoisseur

Maybe I missed it somewhere....but, has anyone found out yet on the age of the new Sazerac? Somewhere - and it may have been at my local store where I found a few bottles, somebody I thought told me it was 6 yrs old. Anybody know?

Guru

The official release statement from Sazerac states that it is "seven summers old".
    Joe

Virtuoso

I stopped in at the nearest Binny's today (well, yesterday, actually), and sure enough, the new Saz Jr. was up on the shelf! Needless to say, a bottle of it followed me home, along with a Compass Box Eleuthera (one of my favorites in the Compass Box line).

I love that old-old-school bottle!

Tomorrow night (technically, tonight) I think I'm going to try a head-to-head of Saz Jr. and Sr. to see how they compare...

Connoisseur

Tomorrow night (technically, tonight) I think I'm going to try a head-to-head of Saz Jr. and Sr. to see how they compare...
    I'll be interested to hear how that comes out. I think I heard our friend Tim say he prefered the younger expression.

Ken