Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Saz Sr. versus Jr.

Well, I've had a pour of the 6yo, and I'm now in the midst of a glass of the 18. There's a definite family resemblance, but the 18yo shows its extra aging; the 6yo has a rough edge to it that has been polished out in the 18yo version.

I'll have to try it again after the new 6yo bottle has been open for a couple of weeks - my current 18yo bottle has a few weeks on it (though mostly full).

In any case, it is still quite a worthy whiskey, and I'll be getting another bottle of the 6yo for reserve, just as I did with the 18yo.

Although I usually don't try to "score" drinks anymore, I'd give the Saz 18 five stars out of five, and the Jr. would get four-and-a-half.

Next time I get in the mood to mix up some Sazerac cocktails, I'll have to try one of each again. The younger version might actually work better in a cocktail than its older brother, but we'll see.

Enthusiast

Re: Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey

The 1,000 numbered bottles is included in the 3600 bottles. By the way, we were aiming for a 6 year old whiskey and then introduce it in New Orleans. With Katerina blowing through, we postponed bottling and the whiskey actually gained an additional year of age because of the delay.

Ken

Novice

Cool Saz Jr. makes it to Louisville, KY

I know that people have been looking for this in the Louisville and Lexington areas. It hit the shelves in Louisville yesterday. Picked up several bottles for consumption as well as the bunker.

it is amazing how early it was available in other markets and not in same state it was distilled and aged.

JD

Apprentice

Saz Nice bottle

I really like the new Saz bottle!!! Does anyone have any of the numbered ones ?? If so post a pic for us to see. Cant wait to see if I can get one in Lexington.
    J.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Well, I don't have one, but I grabbed a pic off of Ebay. It was a completed listing and someone actually paid $160 for it. For that price I could have 8 bottles that I have no guilt about opening.
    Numbered Saz.jpg
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by JamesH007
    I really like the new Saz bottle!!! Does anyone have any of the numbered ones ?? If so post a pic for us to see. Cant wait to see if I can get one in Lexington.
    J.
    As noted by Ken Weber above, the numbered bottles will not be available at retail. The were presented to Sazerac/Buffalo Trace employees and other so-called VIPs to the company. There probably are -- as the eBay listing manifests -- some available privately at a premium.
    Tim

HiTime Wine Cellar had some of this in recently they tell me, HAD being the key phrase here, as in got it and were out of it a few days later! Looks like I missed my shot which is too bad because I think I am starting to like the Ryes more and more, every sip of WT Rye I have tastes better to me...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life
    I think I am starting to like the Ryes more and more, every sip of WT Rye I have tastes better to me...
    Yeah, that's great stuff isn't it?? I'll take WT Rye over any other the other, more rare, higher end Ryes I've tried (though there are several that are still on my gotta get'em list)

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "

Virtuoso

WT Rye

Indeed, the WT rye is one fine pour. It's going to be another of my "always have a bottle on hand" whiskeys - especially since it's easy to find and reasonably priced.

I'll second Virus_Of_Life about ryes in general - all of them that I've tried have been very fine drinks.

Funny thing is, tonight I had a Rittenhouse BIB and then a VWFRR, and then I poured some Rare Breed - and it's tasting like a (very good) rye! Carryover?
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
    Funny thing is, tonight I had a Rittenhouse BIB and then a VWFRR, and then I poured some Rare Breed - and it's tasting like a (very good) rye! Carryover?
    Well, I taste a lot of Rye in all the WT products so you may have a combination of carry over and the Rye overtones of the RB itself.

Ken
    "Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary. "