Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

How long would your stash last?

Another member and I were discussing this today. He mentioned that if he were unable to buy another bottle, he'd be fine for 10 years. I estimate I'm not in as good a shape. So the question can be looked at from several perspectives. A new prohibition is passed OR distilleries start being able to sell everything they make overseas at 10X price so they do not bother selling domestically or whatever. Regardless you can't buy (or can't afford to buy) any more alcohol as of this afternoon.

Yes, I know, if we knew this was coming we'd all stock up and if it happened moonshining would supplement some stocks and you could find Wild Turkey on ebay for $1000 a bottle but.... the question is straight up. Based on your consumption (or your modified consumption) how long would what you have today last you??

At my usual rate I'd be good for 1 1/2 years. BUT if I knew I had no more Bourbon (or anything else) coming in I would likely slow down and that would extend it to 4 or more years.

Ken

Re: How long would your stash last?

I don't really stockpile much, so I'd only be good for about a year on Bourbon. I could make my Bourbon and Scotch together last about 2.

Advanced Taster

Maybe 2 months. I better stock up just in case. I'm sure my wife will understand the reasoning.

Guru

Can I respond in 2 different ways. As of right now 3-4 months. After Sunday...well we'll see.

Enthusiast

Like asking... how do you prepare for a real disaster! How much whiskey should you have in your cellar?

After I brought home a couple more bottles yesterday my wife said, "Thats it!" no more bottles for all of 2006! I said, "I should have them gone in a couple months or less".

Thing is that many of mine taste similar now and I want to get a regular old bottle of seven year old Jim Beam for the different taste that it has... that SWEET taste.

I fear my wife will kill me just for buying the 14 dollar bottle.

I don't know how much a guy needs to have in his stash. Its part of the disease to collect stuff. I used to have it with some other collectables.

I could probably be happy with One Bottle as long as there was no fear it was going to be empty by the end of the night LOL.....

But right now I seem to be reverting to my old disease of collecting and I have several half drank bottles.

I was drinking Evan Williams Single Barrel yesterday and it was really good neat. Later for drinks after I figured I'd kick it down to the seven year old black label Evan Williams because after feeling it, I don't need to drink the good stuff anymore.

So today I had the Jim Beam Black Label neat and darn it was awesome too! There is about a ten dollar difference between Jim Beam Black and Evan Williams Single Barrel. Today I wouldn't have noticed it.

I need a bigger house, thats all there is to it. Our kitchen is way too small. We don't have a bar. If you have the cabinet space and can store the stuff, more power to you!

I looked on the net and the Evan Williams Single Barrel can be gotten for 20 bucks on the net but there is shipping. Thats a pretty good deal isn't it?

So back to the question,

I have a half a bottle of four bourbons so I figure at 2 drinks a day thats a month right?

Connoisseur

I'd be ok for a few years.

Connoisseur

185 bottles, assume 2/3rds full on average = 122.1 bottles equivalent.
    25.36 shots per bottle times 122.1 = 3096.456 shots
    2 shots per drink = 1548.228 drinks
    3 drinks per week = 516.076 weeks
    516.076 weeks = 9 years, 11 months, 3 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes and 24.92 seconds from..............

NOW.

That is providing I won't be entertaining any of you folks who ran out after the first few years

Enthusiast

3 drinks per week =

Yeah, that's me.

2 to 3 drinks per day is more like it.

My math has me running out sometime between opening day and the Derby.

Connoisseur

Got 2 more bottles for Xmas so add another 10 weeks to the total. Puts me over 10 years now! WooHoo! I gotta enjoy it now 'cause New Years will knock it back down.

Advanced Taster

I have 3 open bottles now, nothing in the stockpile. That makes 2 months if I really cut back! All this talk of not being able to buy more makes me depressed, can we stop now please!!!

Tim