Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Dougdogs\' Dusty Rum Bottles...12-30-5

I picked up these "Ron's" a couple days ago...finally got around to posting the finds!

Ron Anejo, Aniversario, NAS, 40%, 750ml, Venezuela Rum with a nice little leather bag (not shown)

Ron Zacapa Centenario, 23yo, 40%, 750ml, Guatemala Rum.

Dougdog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Re: Dougdogs\' Dusty Rum Bottles...

These bottles were forgotten on the side…they were purchased a bout 5-7 days a go.

1. Macouba Rhum, 6yo, 50%, 750ml, Agricole, France.

2. Rhum Barbancourt, 8yo, 43%, 750m, Haitian rhum.

3. Ron Viejo De Caldas, 8yo, 40%, 750ml, Colombian rum.

4. Ron Matusalem, NAS, 40%, 750ml, Gran Reserva, Dominican Republic rum.

Sure are a lot of “Rons” in the rum world…aren’t there?

doudog

...Sure are a lot of “Rons” in the rum world…aren’t there?...
    That was probably a tongue-in-cheek statement -- but, in case not, ron is Spanish for rum.

Connoisseur

Tim,

I didn't know that until you posted it... My original comment was a knee-jerk observation, made in ignorance.

Had I known that...I wouldn't nave been clever enough to make it look tongue and cheek like it appears...actually, looking back, it’s pretty funny the way it unfolded!

Dougdog

Enthusiast

I’ve recently become more interested in Rum…
    I love books and information almost as much as drinking - they seem to make the whole experience more enjoyable.

You might enjoy the book Classic Rum by Jane Arkell (Prion Books, 1999, ISBN 1-85375-298-3). It's not as good as the ones by Jim Murray in the same series (bourbon, Irish and blended Scotch), nor does it list some of the rums you've mentioned, including the delicious sounding Chauffe Coeur Rhum (also, sadly, not available in Michigan), but it's a good general reference. I see that it is available new and used on Amazon.

Jeff

Enthusiast

I've tried and really liked the Ron Matusalem 15yr. Subtle oak, really smooth and non of the molasses taste that I lothe in rum. I should say its a great pour at it's price .

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Hey Dane.....They've already put this year's Pyrat XO Reserve gift pack on sale......$18.99 here in Houston. Includes a nice leather cigar case and a decent cutter.

PS Spec's puts most of the gift sets on "blow out" prices after New Years because "they take up too much space" according to their manager. IE, the Rare Breed in the wooden box/glass lid with two tumblers......$19.99....one day only. IOW, the gift sets are priced significantly below the regular shelf product.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That's cheaper than on St. Martin and where it's made, Anguilla, 8 miles across from where I am sitting. Yesterday we travelled there and I sampled the XO, first on ice and then in a punch - just 8 miles away the punch is different than on St. Martin, it is the fruit-juice based version, with nutmeg sprinkled (like in Barbados). Anyway it is a very good rum. There are so many brands available in Saint Martin, I tried Trois-Rivieres, which has a cigar box-like taste, and many others, most from the French West Indies but many are from all around the Caribbean. I found the 8 year old Barbancourt one of the best, made in Haiti. Certainly Saint Martin is a rum haven, however, a quick bourbon question. I found here some Old Grandad, 80 proof, with an older-style label, at the bottom it states, "Distilled, bottled and aged in Franfort at DSP 14". No mention of Clermont. In the corners of the label there appears an "88", but no other indication of age of bottle. No mention of Beam or National Distillers, just Old Grandad Distilling Company, the usual trade name that is without mention of the corporate owner. Is this National Distillers whiskey? I find the taste much better than current Grandad, it has a raisiny-like fruitiness and while it has something of the rye dryness and flavour of the current one this DSP 14 is richer (seemingly), deeper and better balanced. Sorry to thread-highjack but I am using an old computer with unreliable access so maybe someone can set up the question in the right place. There is quite a bit of this Grandad available here.

Gary

Gary

DSP-KY-14 IS Old Grand-Dad Distillery, and the raisiny/fruity flavor sounds like the real thing. I'd grab as much as I could, personally. Or, maybe I'd just drink it on the spot . Hope you're enjoying your vacation, Gary.

Connoisseur

DSP-KY-14?

Drink as much as you can.
    Carry back your allowance.
    Ship the rest!

By the way, enjoying a terrific rum I just picked up. Zaya. It is very sweet so I doubt I could have more than a couple but it's rich and full and just wonderful. Finishes with the same anisey/minty finish I get off a good rye. Unusual in a rum.

Ken