Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Novice
    I picked up two bottles of this at the NH packy last night (18.99 each--no tax). One pour into it and I like it pretty well. While I didn't get spinach or asparagus, I did get pronounced red-hot cinnamon candies, and a bit of a minty/herbal note. Not as smooth as some bourbons, but no pucker factor, either, and very tasty.

I understand that this bottling is limited. Anyone know if there will be more of it released in the year to come, or is this it for a while? There were three or four more bottles on the shelf . . .

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    When I tasted it the predominant impression was that of fresh wood. I noticed the spices and pepper but they seemed somewhat restrained. Maybe I need to try it again, but set against so many fine products from BT it seemed somewhat lesser.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-11-2006 at 09:26.

Bourbonian of the Year 2008
    Pappy 15 & Saz Jr. being bottled today.
    Randy

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB
    I picked up two bottles of this at the NH packy last night (18.99 each--no tax). I understand that this bottling is limited. Anyone know if there will be more of it released in the year to come, or is this it for a while? There were three or four more bottles on the shelf . . .
    My impression was that it would be limited for now. I actually snapped up the last couple bottles in NH a couple months back. I see that NH has a ton of it again, so the supply must not be too thin.

It's great stuff.

Mike
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

With this becoming, and I know I'll get ridiculed for saying this, one of my "10 favorite whiskeys" I really do hope they keep producing this stuff! I just love it for some reason and want to buy a case to put away, but until I find a place to live and a storage unit to store some stuff I can't buy any more whiskey!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur
    I just picked up my first bottle of Sazerac Jr today. I already own the 18 and it is one of my favorite whiskeys. I'm only on the first pour but I don't think the Jr will be making it to my favorites. Hopefully this will change.
    First the nose, this is one of my favorite noses I've ever smelled. I can't even put it into words, but it makes me happy.
    I also enjoy the palate and mouthfeel, and its been explained by others on this thread much better than my meager skills can articulate. Now to the aftertaste, I just don't like it, fortunately it is (as Tim stated earler) crisp and clean. But I'm detected a little too much cut glass and something remenescent of very minerally rich top soil. And one other flavor that is very familiar but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.
    Well, anyway, I got this bottle for 13 bucks (not on sale) and for the price it is a good rye to have in one's collection.
    I do have to admit though, the more I sip, the more I do like the Jr.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur
    s-p-i-n-a-c-h

I've come to really enjoy Saz JR, especially when I feel I need to eat more green leafy vegetables.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyBoston
    I just picked up my first bottle of Sazerac Jr today. I already own the 18 and it is one of my favorite whiskeys. I'm only on the first pour but I don't think the Jr will be making it to my favorites. Hopefully this will change.
    First the nose, this is one of my favorite noses I've ever smelled. I can't even put it into words, but it makes me happy.
    I also enjoy the palate and mouthfeel, and its been explained by others on this thread much better than my meager skills can articulate. Now to the aftertaste, I just don't like it, fortunately it is (as Tim stated earler) crisp and clean. But I'm detected a little too much cut glass and something remenescent of very minerally rich top soil. And one other flavor that is very familiar but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.
    Well, anyway, I got this bottle for 13 bucks (not on sale) and for the price it is a good rye to have in one's collection.
    I do have to admit though, the more I sip, the more I do like the Jr.

I've had an almost identical experience with this rye. On first tasting I thought - nice but a bit spoilt by the 'black pepper' and 'dirt' finish. Pikesville has that earthy / mineral quality also.

Bottle is half gone now and I'm enjoying it a lot more. However, as it's about the same price as VWFRR, I wont be buying another bottle in a hurry.
    Cheers,

Sion (AKA Bamber).

Administrator in exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamber
    I've had an almost identical experience with this rye. On first tasting I thought - nice but a bit spoilt by the 'black pepper' and 'dirt' finish. Pikesville has that earthy / mineral quality also.

Bottle is half gone now and I'm enjoying it a lot more. However, as it's about the same price as VWFRR, I wont be buying another bottle in a hurry.
    I don't know about elsewhere, but VWFRR just hit the shelves again in Lexington for about $44. That's almost $20 higher than it was last time.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    I don't know about elsewhere, but VWFRR just hit the shelves again in Lexington for about $44. That's almost $20 higher than it was last time.
    Yikes!! I just asked my local folks to order some for me, but if it's $44 there, it's gonna be $64 here.