Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Administrator in exile

BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

The first BOTM for 2006 is another great offering from the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Created by and named for one of the legends of bourbon making, Elmer T Lee, his Single Barrel packs more flavor than would be expected to fit into 750mls. Bottled at 90 proof and now sporting an easy-open capsule, ETL is a requisite bottling for any self-respecting collection, and an ideal bourbon with which to ring in the new year.

What say you?

Sound Off

Re: BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

ETL is one of my favorites. It is a bit too sweet for my palate to be my everyday pour. So, bourbonwise it's not my regular cup of coffee but is my occasional latte. Everytime I take a new sip of it, a new flavor seems to come out.

Enthusiast

and an ideal bourbon with which to ring in the new year.
    Jeff, an excellent choice for the first BOTM of '06. It's an ideal bourbon for any day! At $22 a bottle in PA, it's a great everyday pour.

Novice

I had this for the first time about a year ago and I thought it was good, not great but certainly drinkable. At that time I was drinking only the E.T. Lee by itself. Then just a few months ago I did a blind tasting against Elijah Craig 12yr and WT Rare Breed and I was surprised how well it held its own. With the others to contrast the ETL's maple tones were beautifully pronounced. I know this is a pretty common suggestion for drinking bourbon in general, but ETL is really at its best when along side other bourbons particularly ones that are less sweet. This is just my opinion, but like jelly to peanut butter this is a bourbon that is designed to compliment certain other bourbons. I reccomend getting something like Woodford Reserve or Old Grandad 100 and sipping it side by side with the ETL and see if you agree.

Thanks
    Jimmy

Guru

An outstanding bargain and the most consistent single barrel I've found... it's one of my favorites.

Guru

Received a bottle for Christmas and sampled it tonight, Must agree and I was quite surprised. Value, Value, Value.
    This bottle will be ever present on my bar.

Advanced Taster

I agree, Tried it after Russell's Reserve 90, and I ended up giving the RR away!

Nominations for next month would be Weller 12 YO, or HH10 YO

Advanced Taster

Great choice for BOTM. I love ETL. This is one of the best bargains going. It can be had for $17 (on sale) around here. At that price, I will always have one open.

Jay

Enthusiast

ETL is my favorite bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I don't have a problem liking ETL......it has lots going for it including cinnamon spice and the aforementioned sweetness. But here in Texas, its priced north of $30 and that puts it in competition with a lot of great bourbons. Particularly the Weller line which has always been priced extremely well. Weller 12yo is less that $15. So, its not a regular staple in the bar as a result.

Randy