Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

Giving it a try tonight with a few steaks.

Enthusiast

At $40 Cdn at the LCBO I consider this to be one of the best values in Ontario. My default bourbon choice. Less than 1/2 the cost of Blantons.

Guru

You probably know that it is essentially the same whiskey as Blanton's. There was an established taste profile for Blanton's (which is excellent), but Elmer found other barrels that he personally enjoyed, more. They had a sweeter profile and they (Buffalo Trace) started selling it under his namesake. A similar product concept to Russell's Reserve (and I don't know which brand was first).

Tim

You probably know that it is essentially the same whiskey as Blanton's. There was an established taste profile for Blanton's (which is excellent), but Elmer found other barrels that he personally enjoyed, more. They had a sweeter profile and they (Buffalo Trace) started selling it under his namesake. A similar product concept to Russell's Reserve (and I don't know which brand was first).

Tim
    I agree that Blanton's and ETL are similar. However, I would give the edge personally to ETL. An added bonus is that it is half the price.

Virtuoso

Well, I bought a bottle yesterday (gold wax seal, Binny's cask selection), and it is mighty good! Sweet and mellow... I'd call it a "honey barrel."

Guru

Well, I bought a bottle yesterday (gold wax seal, Binny's cask selection), and it is mighty good! Sweet and mellow... I'd call it a "honey barrel."
    Yes, that is exactly how and why it was selected. A honey barrel.

Tim

Guru

Being a fan of Blanton's and recently tried ETL for the first time I can understand the theory concerning that connection. How nice for us to be the beneficiaries of the process. Nice to know that I have an option at less that 50% of Blanton's cost.

Connoisseur

There are some leftover specials at my local store from the holidays. One of them is Blanton's 750ml @ $39.99 - $10 off the normal price found around town. ETL is $25.99 in same establishment. Never had either one. Trying to decide whether to take advantage of the special price before the last one vanishes, or, save $14 and go with the ETL. At normal price difference ($24), it would be a no-brainer. From this thread, it sounds like Blanton's is not worth 2X the price of ETL....but is it worth an extra $14?

Oh heck, maybe buy both! When in doubt, buy more....it is getting to be my motto.

Disciple

Hi Ken,
    in the end it tastes how it tastes, to you.

That is certainly true. My experience is quite different. I have had about 6 bottles of ETL. I think that they came from two different barrels, maybe three. I think of them as ETL 1, 2, and 3. 2 and 3 are most probably from the same barrel. At least they are very similar. I have bottles of all three open now and one of ETL 2 bunkered. ETL 2-3 has the strongest cookie spice note of any bourbon I have tasted. Far stronger than Spring 2005 Stagg. I have actually used Stagg to cut the spice in 2-3 ETL while also raising the proof of the ETL to around 100 which is my preferred proof. That may well be the best bourbon I have ever tasted. ETL 1 is much milder. I won't say sweeter because ETL 2-3 is just as sweet, but ETL 1's sweetness is more noticeable since the cookie spice note is more subdued. Far from absent, not even subtle, just not as in your face as ETL 2-3.

Buffalo Trace is a fine bourbon, but one I probably won't be replacing soon. I like it a lot but not nearly as well as I like ETL and ETL is four or five bucks cheaper here. ETL seems to have replaced Blanton's in my heart. At least the bottle of Blanton's Gold that I have open is not holding its own against the three ETLs that I have open.

I hope I haven't confused anyone too much with my number references. It is certainly not something that is on the label. Just the order in which I bought the bottles. All of them are gold wax sealed. I haven't seen any foil caps yet. I plan to buy at least one bottle of ETL this month.
    Ed

Finally acquired and pulled the plug on a bottle of ETL. Need a couple more pours to fully develop my thoughts, but I think I saw someone maybe in another thread mention it had a maple flavor to it and I do fully agree. All in all a nice pour, Iíll enjoy this one quite often!