Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

I picked up a couple of bottles of ETL the other day, so now I have four bottles open. I really like this bourbon! The current bottle, ETL 4 has the cookie spice notes that I love so well, but less overpowering and is more balanced. I plan to try all four bottles head to head this week.
    Ed

Disciple

Since ETL became the bottle of the month I haven't wanted to drink anything else!
    Ed

Connoisseur

I just ordered the ETL Gold Wax seal "honey" barrel from Binny's. I'll compare to the current "foil" release when it arrives.

Connoisseur

Smile BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

On the long and winding road home this evening, picked up my first bottle of ETL. Looking forward to first pour here in a short while with great expectation. From all the posts here, I should be in for a nice treat.

Taster
    I was in Chicago this week so I stopped at Binny's and picked up their hand picked ETL ($20 plus tax). I also have a foil open and an older ETL in the...I think it's referred to as "butt ugly bottle". It's all good!
    Jon

Connoisseur

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ProofPositive
    On the long and winding road home this evening, picked up my first bottle of ETL. Looking forward to first pour here in a short while with great expectation. From all the posts here, I should be in for a nice treat.
    I enjoyed it so much, I forgot to report back in afterwards! Another very good offering at a reasonable price from Buffalo Trace.....my hat off to those folks again!!!

Advanced Taster
    So this BOTM runs through the 6th? I'm still working on getting my Elmer and participating. My store tells me it should be in soon. They stopped stocking it because it did not perform well for them. Hopefully my 2 bottles will be here before the next BOTM.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    I have a snifter of Elmer T. Lee before me. It has a rich nose of brown sugar, buttered popcorn, and some smoky Ozark wood. Down below in there is a hint of some corn whiskey smell, too, and I like that. The nose is similar to Blanton Original but Blanton seems dryer, more oaky. The color of this bottling of ETL is medium-amber with brassy highlights. The taste is sweet and full and the aftertaste shows good length with a trailing of smoky wood. While a single barrel whiskey, I find it consistent from bottle to bottle. This whiskey is one of the best in America, it is very good, brandy-like and soft yet full of American bourbon taste. Also, its price point is very reasonable for the quality given. It is a constant in my bar to sample on its own but also to lend heft and style to my whiskey blendings. If something is rough or obtrudes in a blending, add enough ETL and it makes the problem go away.

If there is any "fault" with ETL it is that a hint more of rye flavor would not be amiss. I fix this by creating blends with a telling ETL appearance but to which lashings of Lot 40 and Old Overholt are added.

Drinks writer Michael Jackson famously called Highland Park the greatest "all-rounder" in the field of malt whisky. One can as easily say ETL is the greatest all-rounder in American bourbon today.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-28-2006 at 18:10.

Enthusiast
    I completely agree Gary!

Bourbonian of the Year 2006
    Ozark Wood???
    Wood with no teeth?
    What distinguishes Ozark Wood?
    (What happened to that Stickpoke emoticon)
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"