Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Re: BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetmeats View Post
    I've purchased three lately from Bevmo in SoCal. The most recent a month ago. It tastes fine to me. The one I did not like was a store specific version at a competing retailer.
    Wouldn't have been Hi Time, now would it?
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Wouldn't have been Hi Time, now would it?
    He did say Bevmo, I add that my bottle from the same is fine.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    He did say Bevmo, I add that my bottle from the same is fine.
    Marc, he said the one he did NOT like was a store specific version that is a competitor to bevmo. Or did I read that wrong?
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I've had no problems with any ETL. Sorry to hear you guys have had some bad experiences, though. Just remember, this too, shall pass.

Cheers!

JOE

Enthusiast

I didn't want to say but yes...HiTimes version of ETL was HORRIBLE! That was the one that I even saw returned to a Bevmo. It was sitting on a shelf at Bevmo with a HiTimes sticker on it. I won't buy an ETL from HiTimes for at least a year.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think BT's program of letting retailers make their own single-barrel selections is a good one and part of the QA is that every barrel offered them is pre-selected by BT as acceptable for the brand in question. That said, there is a YMMV factor at work here. Although I love the bottle of ETL that I got recently at Binny's, I have a bottle of Weller Antique from Cork N Bottle that I don't care for, and normally I'm a big Weller Antique fan.

One thing I have noticed that may account for this is that when you are tasting several different examples of what is, essentially, the same thing, the one that is most different is the one you perceive as "best."

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ...One thing I have noticed that may account for this is that when you are tasting several different examples of what is, essentially, the same thing, the one that is most different is the one you perceive as "best."
    Indeed, one philosophy of selecting a personalized barrel might be to get something that isn't 'standard'. After all, why choose a barrel on which to put your name that is just like all the standard bottles of the same brand on your, and everyone else's, shelf?
    Tim

Connoisseur

I'm really kicking myself for not buying a bottle at Binny's now. I've been pondering asking my favorite liquor store to get some ETL (they've picked up two other whiskeys when I asked about them), but I don't know that I'd want to buy a bottle, given the flurry of recent negative experiences. Everyone in Dallas who carries it wants $30+ for it, and I can't justify buying it at that price.

Advanced Taster

Yeah, ETL is expensive in Dallas. $37.99 at the nearest Centennial store. They have 2 bottles, both dusty.
    Last edited by Martian; 04-17-2007 at 05:05.

Guru

Exclamation Re: BOTM, 1/06: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    Yeah, ETL is expensive in Dallas. $37.99 at the nearest Centennial store. They have 2 bottles, both dusty.
    That is just wrong (for them to charge that, I'm not questioning your honesty). I had to get mine out of state, but it was not in a particularly low-price state (Kentucky). I paid something in the mid-20's, about $26.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur